Fighting for position

Second place in GNAC on the line as central battles it out with Alaska

Austin Bennett, Assistant Sports Editor

Central’s men’s basketball team is ready to snatch the second-place spot in the GNAC with two games remaining in its 2015-16 season.

The Wildcats will have to win against both Alaska schools this week to place second.

Central has won five out of its last six games, increasing its chances for a first-round bye in the GNAC tournament.

Senior guard Joey Roppo credits the team’s late-season success to coming together and playing cohesively.

“I think after that loss to Saint Martin’s—which is a team we should have beat—we came together and realized we gotta start winning or we’re not gonna be where we want to be at the end of the season,” Roppo said.

The Wildcats played both University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) and the University of Alaska (UA) in the first week of December.

Central took a beating by UAA in an embarrassing 65-93 loss. Its game against UA went better, but not as planned as they lost 71-82.

Central has played 17 games since its losses against the Alaska schools, giving them more than enough time to get better as a unit.

“We are a completely different team,” head coach Greg Sparling said. “I mean it’s not even close. I know our defense has improved and our offense has greatly improved.”

All three schools are fighting for a position in the GNAC and to better their rating percentage index (RPI) for the national tournament.

Currently, Central sits tied for third at 12-6 with Seattle Pacific University, and both Alaska schools are tied for second at 13-5.

Central has the advantage of being able to play at home, but both teams have a winning record away from home. UAA is 6-2 and UA is 5-2 on the road.

Getting the second seed in the GNAC would bode well for Central’s basketball program. They have made the tournament three times in the past four years.

“If we just stay focused, we will be able to do it,” junior guard Terry Dawn said.

The Wildcats did not shoot the three well against both Alaska schools in their first meeting. They collectively shot 27.7 percent from beyond the arc. Central also had a combined total of 96 turnovers.

Roppo wants to do everything in his power to help his team get these last two wins of the season.

“These are obviously two big games for us,” Roppo said. “I’m just gonna work hard, make sure my shot feels good and play good defense.”

Central’s first opponent this week will be UA on Thursday. Its final game of the season will be on Saturday against UAA.

“Coming down the stretch, there are a lot of teams with the same record,” redshirt freshman Naim Ladd said. “We’re just trying to buy in and hopefully we can get these last two wins, so we can get a higher ranking in the tournament.”