Interim provost of CWU named, starts Nov. 1

Jonathan Glover, News Editor

Central has announced Stephen T. Hulbert as the interim vice president of academic and student life and provost for Central Washington University. He is scheduled to start on Nov. 1.

This declaration comes on the heels of Provost Marilyn Levine’s sudden resignation that was announced on Sept. 21—40 days before her last day on Nov. 1. A typical position such as provost is usually given a year’s notice to allow adequate time to find a replacement.

In a story that originally ran in The Observer, Levine said she would be taking personal time to find the next step in her career and there was no bad blood between herself and school administrators.

Following her announcement in September, Central administrators and President James Gaudino said a replacement would be found swiftly. Associate Provost Anne Cubilie was originally announced to fill in for Levine.

According to a news release from Central, Hulbert will take over until a permanent replacement is found. Central Chief of Staff Linda Schactler said in the release Hulbert was one of three candidates interviewed for the position that were brought forth by The Registry – a national organization that specializes in seeking candidates for college administration.

Hulbert has previous experience as interim president, provost, chief financial officer, and chief executive officer at other universities, the news release said.