Getting in touch with A New You

Cassidy Warness, Staff Reporter

Having struggled with chronic pain and anxiety for years, Jaquelyn Ruth understands the negative physical effects that stress has on the body.

Ruth has now found a place of peace and comfort after the recent opening of A New You, a holistic center in downtown Ellensburg, owned by Central alumna Cathy Caraway.

A New You practices low-impact exercise and massage therapy to reduce the stress, aches and pain of everyday life.

• RELAXING – A New You is a new holistic health center that offers alternative forms of therapy through low-impact exercises, massage therapy and therapeutic oils.

• Caraway graduated from Central and is a licensed practical nurse.

“People think when they hear about holistic centers that it’s just hocus pocus, but it’s really not,” Ruth, the receptionist at A New You, said. “It’s all physiological.  It’s all tangible.  It gives you the chance to step out of the normal world and just relax.”

Caraway works as a nurse in Ellensburg and graduated from Central with a bachelor’s in public health.  Seeking to find a better quality of life and healthy alternative to stress reduction for local residents, Caraway opened A New You.

“When I was in school, I realized a lot more could help people than pharmaceuticals,” Caraway said. “So many people are on medication. It’s time to find different alternatives to find happiness.”

After suffering from a serious back injury, Caraway realized the difficulty and pain of physical therapy.  Looking to find a way to relieve her pain, Caraway stumbled upon toning tables, a passive range of motion machine that stimulates circulation and moves the body.

Dedicated to the stress-free, sweat-free exercise circuit, A New You is the only business in Central Washington that offers toning tables.

“People have lost inches by using these tables,” Ruth said. “It’s not just relaxing for the time in here, the effects and results stay with you.”

The machines naturally contort the body to stretch muscles without pain, improving flexibility and blood circulation while detoxifying the body. Caraway says these alternative exercises relieve pain from health concerns such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, osteoporosis and diabetes without increasing the heart rate or blood pressure.

Combined with the principles of physical exercise and flexibility, these toning tables increase body tone without adding muscle strain and fatigue.

Caraway is a passionate advocate for therapeutic oils, which she uses during her sessions. Caraway and associate, Wendi Hembree, offer free weekly educational classes for alternative health care with medicinal essential oils.

The oil scents include citrus and peppermint, and Caraway says they are used for different medicinal purposes to increase the immune system and prevent stress.

“Diffusing these oils for 20 to 25 minutes daily helps the body fight off the flu and bacteria,” Caraway said. “These oils can be digested into the body by inhaling, swallowing or absorbing through the skin. For college students, if you put the peppermint oil on your temples before a huge exam, the oils help circulate oxygen in your brain.  It’s very beneficial.”

A New You also offers red light therapy treatment that reduces skin conditions like eczema, pigmentation spots and wrinkles.

By mistake, Caraway purchased a red-light therapy skin treatment bed thinking it was a tanning bed. Much to Caraway’s surprise, the red-light therapy bed uses light with no harmful UV rays.

According to Caraway, the infrared light promotes skin cell and collagen production to improve overall skin tone. The staff has seen significant results in only 1-2 sessions with clients suffering from extreme eczema.

“Everyone [who] has been in has loved the options,” Caraway said, “but business in Ellensburg is a process to get a new business going.”

The staff of A New You is excited about the increasing flow of clients exploring holistic practice. Caraway, Ruth and Hembree are passionate about educating Ellensburg on the benefits the practice.

“It’s time for people to get on the right track,” Caraway said. “Breathe in life, exhale stress.”