CWU will not reschedule spring commencement

Mitchell Roland, Senior News Reporter

CWU has officially decided against rescheduling spring 2020 commencement due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

In an email sent today signed by CWU Interim Provost Lynn Franken and Faculty Senate Chair Walter Szeliga, uncertainty surrounding the end of the pandemic was cited as the reason for cancellation instead of rescheduling the ceremony.

“The safety of our students, staff, and community is always our top priority, and we believe that bringing so many people close together — even six months from now — would present too much of a risk,” the email states.

According to the email,  CWU made every effort to hold a ceremony, but “ determined that a full cancellation of Commencement 2020 was the only responsible decision to make.”

In lieu of an in-person ceremony, the email states that graduates are invited to attend a virtual commencement on June 13 as well as 2021’s commencement ceremony. Details for the virtual ceremony are not yet finalized.

Students who do not wish to participate in either event will have their diploma cover, a copy of the commencement book and any other awards delivered to their house.

While CWU canceled the ceremony, other universities in the state have opted to postpone commencement until late summer. Washington State University announced that in addition to virtual commencement this spring, graduates are invited to an in-person commencement on Aug. 8. The University of Washington will hold a virtual ceremony on June 13.