Tech changes across CWU campus

Matt Escamilla, Staff Reporter

The Student Tech Fee Council is in the process of making the old heat building into an esports gaming center and tech lounge. Student Technology Fee Council Chairman Lwin Htet said that on Oct. 31 members of the council, project managers from the CWU facilities department, architects and others will be heading to the west side to checkout locations that already have esports complexes. 

“It’s going to be a place where students can go hangout. They can play video games in there,” Htet said. 

According to Htet, if the complex gets completed, it will be the biggest esports facility in Washington.  

The facility will have classrooms to teach people how to use the equipment. It will also have computers, gaming consoles and a virtual reality area. The people involved with the project are currently speaking with CWU Dining Services about putting some kind of food area in the facility. The price and timeline for completion of the facility is still to be determined. 

Htet mentioned there will be a survey coming out to see what students would want in the esports complex.  

In the beginning of fall quarter, students noticed new printing stations around campus. Given the fact WEPA is a new printing system, ASCWU Vice President of Student Life and Facilities Mickael Candelaria knew there was potential for student frustration.

“We know that with our returning students, second years and above … and those new to the campus [were] going to have different perspectives,” Candelaria said. 

Candelaria also serves on the Student Technology Fee Council as an ASCWU representative.

According to Htet, the biggest issue students are currently having with the WEPA system is their unfamiliarity with WEPA. 

“If you knew everything that you could do on this new [WEPA] system you would like it a lot more than the previous system,” Htet said. 

Candelaria mentioned some individuals might be afraid to use the new system because it’s so new. 

Agnese Husko, a freshman pre-medicine major, is one of those students hesitant to try the new WEPA system.

“My phone is pretty slow so I just don’t know how to work with the phone and the kiosks … I kind of get nervous about [it]. Is it going to print the right thing?” Husko said. 

Husko mentioned she tried to follow the instructions on a flyer she was given, however, the directions were vague on how to upload documents. 

Htet said the tech council are in talks with WEPA right now to develop pamphlets and other informational channels that tell students how the system works. 

Candelaria said the new system provides students more places on campus to print than the past busy areas in the SURC and Brooks Library. 

For people who are disappointed with the printing balance being deducted this quarter, it is not considered a deduction in printing funds, according to Htet. 

“You never really had $15. We just gave you a $5 buffer just in case of a misprint,” Htet said. 

According to Htet and Candelaria, people can contact WEPA for a refund if there are any misprints while using the system.