Elvin Delgado appointed interim associate vice president of academic affairs

Elvin Delgado goal is to help with student sucess photo courtesy of cwu.edu

Elvin Delgado, associate dean of faculty development, research and interdisciplinary initiative, was appointed interim associate vice president of academic affairs on Nov. 2. This was after Kurt Kirstein was appointed interim provost and vice president of academic affairs on Nov. 1. 

Delgado said that as of now, he isn’t sure when they will have someone to fill the role full-time, but he plans to return to associate dean once the position is filled. Currently, Delgado said the department is in the process of dividing up his responsibilities as associate dean.   

As interim associate vice president of academic affairs, Delgado said some things he will be doing are overseeing the registrar and the school of graduate studies. 

Delgado said he accepted this position because he has always been interested in learning and developing new skills. 

“I was the chair of the Faculty Senate and during that time, I had the opportunity to work closely with the operational side, the academic affairs side, the union of CWU, as well as faculty and I really enjoyed that opportunity,” Delgado said. “So when this opportunity came up, I accepted.”

While Delgado is still learning about this new position, he said that during his time as interim associate vice president of academic affairs, his priority will be to serve the students. 

“Everything we do is for our students,” Delgado said. 

Delgado joined CWU in 2012 as a tenure-track assistant professor in the Department of Geography. Delgado said that his favorite thing about CWU is the sense of community. 

“I am inspired by how [many] great professors we have and the quality of the education that we provide to our students,” Delgado said. “I’ve also been inspired by the staff and the administrators and how they focus on providing the best possible education and services to our students.” 

Read about Kurt Kirstein’s role as interim provost and vice president of academic affairs in the next issue.