Northwest Sports Management Summit: curiosity answered for CWU students

Head Football Coach Chris Fisk (left) standing with Assistant General Manager for the Seattle Seahawks, Nolan Teasley (right). (Photo courtesy of Jacob Thompson / Thompson Sports Media)

Excitement and interest were generated as the fourth annual Northwest Sports Management Summit kicked off in the newly renovated Nicholson Pavilion on Thursday, Nov. 6. Hosted by the Northwest Center for Sport (NWCS), the event gathered industry professionals and featured engaging discussions around the theme “It’s Game Time; Managing A Successful Gameday,” according to cwu.edu.

This event was designed to cater to individuals who aspire to become sport management professionals and those who are keen on understanding the inner workings of sport and athletic organizations.

Key aspects discussed by professionals on the panel included insights about the transferability of skills learned in college, the importance of preparation and how planning is essential for a triumphant game day. The panelists emphasized that these skills are all part of the journey towards success.

Among the panel members was CWU alumnus Nolan Teasley, who currently serves as the assistant general manager for the Seattle Seahawks and was the keynote speaker of the event.

Teasley shared how he started as a Wildcat and now holds a pivotal role with the Seahawks. As he shared his experiences, he expressed gratitude for the chance to return to CWU and visit “a place that has given me so much,” Teasley said.

Teasley highlighted the significance of preparation in his journey and properly suiting oneself for their intended goals.

When breaking down the answer to how he got to where he is today, Teasley shared that his prime factors were, “a lot of hard work, dedication and an incredible amount of support from friends and family.”

Each speaker at the event spoke on the various elements that they contribute going into a game day operation. Some of these components were mentioned by Vice President of Ticket Sales and Service for the Seattle Sounders FC, Frank Moreno.

“Everything that you’re learning now will be translatable to your future role, remember those skills and learn from them,” Moreno said. “It’s going to become really handy if you’re able to successfully apply it in your next career.”

Following Moreno was the Recreation Manager at J.W. Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort and Spa, Savannah Scriven, who aimed to shed some light on the business side of things.

“Pre-programming really is essential to the operational function of the business and the success,” Scriven said.

In terms of time management skills, she emphasized the importance of “getting all the hard stuff out of the way first,” Scriven said.

Financial success is also a huge part of any business and any career, according to Account Executive/Group Events at Seattle Mariners, Alexa Olague.

Explaining what operations she employs to maintain this level of prosperity,  “if there’s no plan in place, it’s not going to work,” Olague said. “[It’s important to be] constantly working with operational teams.”

The summit sought to provide an opportunity for CWU students to connect with their future paths. The panel speakers offered relevant advice on how students can kick-start their careers, which included networking, reaching out now and building your brand.

The event was a successful endeavor, according to the Program Director for the undergraduate Sport Management program, Dr. Sean Dahlin. All different perspectives were garnered about what it means when it comes to preparing for game day.

Dahlin also serves as CWU’s director of the organization that hosted the summit, the NWCS.  He expressed enthusiasm when reflecting on the array of people that the summit brought to campus.

“That’s the fun part for me,” Dahlin said.”I get to see alumni that come back and I’ve taught those who are now working in the sports industry and doing awesome.”