So Long Farrell Hall

The building of Farrell Hall. (Courtesy of CWU archives)

If you have been on campus any time in the last several months, you’ve certainly noticed all of the construction, blocked pathways and, of course, the lack of L&L. While we’ve had this time to say goodbye to the Language and Literature building, it is now time to bid farewell to another tower of bricks on campus, because next on the list of knock-downs is Farrell Hall.

Farrell Hall, located on the northwest end of campus, was erected in 1975, and made to be an extension of the library complex, according to CWU archives. Now, Farrell is home to the political science and law & justice departments. The hall was named after Corrine Farrell, a native Ellensburger and CWU alum. “Farrell was born in Ellensburg in 1924,” according to “What’s in a Name? Farrell Hall” by Crimson & Black staff. “She attended local schools before earning a bachelor’s degree from the University of Washington and Central Washington College of Education (former name of CWU). She also earned a medical degree from Creighton University in Nebraska in 1957.”

As a physician, Farrell was a five-time recipient of the American Medical Association Physician’s Recognition Award, along with earning several academic awards. After her passing, her estate established several student scholarships including the C. Farrell Fine Arts & Research Scholarship and the Dennis W. Farrell Pre-Medicine Scholarship.

There are mixed feelings about Farrell coming to its end. “I’m sad to see it go, but [I’m] excited to see what the future home of LAJ and Polisci looks like,” Kento Ibarra, senior law & justice major, said. “Farrell Hall is a really comfortable building. It’s not particularly shiny or new, but it’s very cozy. My favorite part is the Mock Trial Courtroom!”

Dr. Bernadette Jungblut, a professor of Political Science said, “I think Farrell Hall is fabulous. Now, I also know what the design for the North Academic Complex is, and I think that that’s going to be fabulous as well. So will I be sad to leave Farrell? Yes, because the classrooms in Farrell are perfect for the way I teach and the way I want my students interacting with one another and engaging with the material. On the other hand, the North Academic Complex is going to be a gorgeous building, and I think a lot of us are excited to move there once it’s finally built.”