Here for the First Time: First-Generation College Students

Most, if not all, college students struggle in some way during their time at university. The balance of classes, homework, friends, work and more add up far too quickly. For first-generation college students, having people at home who understand the workload and challenges is not something they are guaranteed. 

A Center for First-Generation Student Success’s factsheet showed statistics based on National Postsecondary Student Aid Study with 89,000 study members that during the 2015-16 academic year, 56% of undergraduate students had parents who did not have a bachelor’s degree. 59% of undergraduate students for the same academic year whose parents did not have a bachelor’s degree were also the first sibling in their family to go to college. 

But here at CWU, there is a group ready to offer community, support and more to all students with a focus on first generation students. It’s the First Generation Student Organization (FGSO). 

As part of the Equity and Services Council (ESC), it is under the umbrella of the ASCWU Student Government. The ESC is “a body dedicated to ensuring fairness, inclusivity, and accessibility” according to the ASCWU webpage

“The FGSO is an organization within the ESC that meets weekly to support first generation students,” said Rose Montano FGSO’s president. “As the president, I love being able to help students with problems that I also faced when I first came to college. I wish everyone knew that the FGSO is here to help ALL students. That is regardless of their gender, race/ethnicity, sexuality, social status, or even whether or not they are first generation. College is a difficult journey that everyone needs support with.”  

On Jan. 20, the FGSO hosted a winter masquerade ball in the Diversity and Inclusion Center (DEC). Food, music and dancing were enjoyed by the approximately 25 attendees. Many attendees talked about wishing more had attended. Many said that their roommates and classmates had no idea it was happening until it was mentioned directly to them. (The reporter for this article only learned about it through an Instagram post by a friend.)

CWU’s FGSO Instagram account (@cwu_fgso) offers information on events and meetings for those interested.