Q&A: Maggie McBroom

Thompson Sports Media

Maggie McBroom is a senior here at CWU. McBroom is studying to graduate with her major in environmental geography and minor in journalism. While here for her studies, McBroom also plays as an outside back on the CWU women’s soccer team. 

Q: When did you start playing soccer?

Since I could walk I would kick the ball around, and joined my first team at three years old. A coach at a soccer camp introduced me to club soccer when I was ten, which was a decision that totally changed the trajectory of my life. 

Q: Why did you want to come to CWU?

CWU is driving distance from home, has major programs that I was interested in, and the team was super welcoming on my visit and made it feel like somewhere I’d like to spend the next four years.  

Q: What has been your favorite part of playing soccer for CWU?

Definitely getting to spend time with people that I wouldn’t otherwise know, and getting to build relationships and learn more about life through new experiences 

Q: What is your favorite memory at CWU?

So far, my favorite memory has been hiking Colorado Springs with the team, it was gorgeous and we all had a lot of fun.

Q: How do you balance school, soccer and your social life?

It’s a lot of work, but if you manage your time well, it’s doable. Planning ahead and separating out time to do homework is key so that you can spend the rest of your day doing whatever you want to.

Q: Do you have any advice for other student athletes?

My advice would be to look for things that you love about your sport when it gets hard, and appreciate that you get to see your best friends everyday and travel around the northwest. 

Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

In ten years, I would love to be living on the Oregon coast, possibly working as a lineman or in forestry conservation. However, that plan will likely change and I really just want to see where life takes me.

Q: Who or what inspires you?

My teammates always inspire me. Whenever it gets hard, we can draw strength from one another by recognizing that we’re all in the same boat and that if your teammates can do something, then you can do it too.