Volk’s 7-interception-streak powers CWU football: a team united for success

Jacob Thompson
Tanner posing for media day.

CWU football’s safety Tanner Volk has been awarded his third straight Lone Star Conference Defensive Player of the Week award. Volk is also leading the National Collegiate Athlete’s Association (NCAA) with seven interceptions in the season.

In his junior season here at CWU, Volk has made great strides. Volk gave insight into the kind of person, player and teammate he is and has become over the years, saying that getting the Defensive Player of the Week award was an honor.

“It all just goes back to all the hard work that my team and I have put in,” Volk said.

This highlights Volk’s deep gratitude for having such a supportive team by his side. Regardless of Volk’s leading record of seven interceptions, he said his mindset moving forward with the season remains unchanged. 

“Continue to be bought into the team and be bought into the process, we don’t really look at those numbers, those don’t matter unless we are winning,” Volk said.

Volk expressed the desire to be both a dependable and trustworthy presence within CWU’s football team.

“[I want to be] someone people trust, look at when times get tough and someone that leads by example,” Volk said. “Or even someone that anyone can talk to and be there.” 

Volk’s teammates can attest to the major contributions that he brings to table. For example, senior running back, Tre’Jon Henderson, said: “[He] gives me confidence,” Henderson said. “[Volk brings] a great sense of leadership, he’s a hard worker, great guy overall and unselfish.” 

Henderson’s perspective on Volk provided additional insights into his character as a player and teammate, underscoring Volk’s steadfast commitment and camaraderie with his team.

Despite Volk receiving the awards these last few weeks, his testimonies relay that he wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for his team.

Volk and Henderson repeatedly emphasized the word “trust” when describing the team, putting a significant emphasis on CWU football’s core values. Both parties echoed the team’s fundamental essence, stating, “Trust is everything.”

CWU football’s goal for the season is to attain success at new levels. After flaming out earlier in previous post seasons, this group said they will continue to work towards winning a title.

“We’re working on winning the conference championship,” Henderson said.

Their win against Angelo State University on Sept. 16 offered a boost in team morale, knowing they were a step closer to the conference championships.With the winning mindset in play, Volk made sure not to mention any of the “secret sauce” about what the team is doing to prepare for the upcoming games. 

CWU football will be on the road this Saturday, Oct. 14 for their matchup against Midwestern State University located in Wichita Falls, Texas. They will then be back at the Tomlinson Stadium in Ellensburg on Saturday, Oct. 21 to face off against West Texas A&M University.