A Legacy of Excellence

41st Wildcat Gala & Athletic Hall of Fame
Athletic Hall of Fame inductees left to right: Jim Gaudion, Shaina Afoa, Katie Gaudion, Johnny Spevak and Greg Olson. (Photo courtesy of Jacob Thompson/Thompson Sports Media)

After nearly two years of construction, the annual Wildcat Gala & Athletic Hall of Fame found its home back in the Nicholson Arena for the induction of the 41st Hall of Fame class on Saturday, May 4. This year’s honorees included Johnny Spevak for his contributions in both football and men’s basketball, Shaina Afoa for her contributions in women’s basketball, track & field and volleyball, Greg Olson for his distinguished coaching career and Dr. James and Katie Gaudino who received the newly renamed Gary Fredrick Spirit of Central award.

“Being able to have the event in our new arena allowed us to display the growth of CWU Athletics to attendees and further the excitement about what we are continuing to build here,”  Sean Gordon, athletics development graduate assistant, said.

Months in the making, the gala was a hit and left an impact on all those who attended. “… We couldn’t have imagined it coming out as great as it did,” Sean Gordon said. “This year’s event was one to remember with an all-around amazing display of the wonderful people that make up CWU Athletics … Everyone stepped up, not just from the department but from the entire Wildcat community. From Dining [who] put together a delicious meal with first class service to Slice and Student Senate [who] helped pull together awesome volunteers for the event, it was truly a display of CWU as a community.”

As each inductee delivered heartfelt speeches, reminiscing on their experiences and expressing gratitude for the university’s influence, tears were shed and memories were shared amongst alumni, community members and current athletes in attendance. Jonathan Gordon, the former sports information director, echoed this sentiment, highlighting the Gala as an occasion for reconnection and celebration of the enduring legacy of CWU Athletics.

“This year’s inductees were another amazing class,” Sean Gordon said. “It was a privilege to have them accept their nominations and instill themselves as members of the CWU Athletics Hall of Fame.”

Beyond the individual accolades and warm speeches, the Gala served as a testament to both the legacy and communal spirit of CWU Athletics, fostering a collective sense of pride in the university’s athletic achievements and the lasting impact on its community.