Parking is bad; let’s fix it

Mitchell Johnson, Senior Reporter

I get it, parking is bad. There are not enough spots near the university for the amount of people needing one. People do not deserve to be driving around the parking lot for half-an-hour just for a chance to find a spot.

I have heard numerous stories of people having to risk getting a ticket by parking in the 30-minute spots just to be in time for class.

Unfortunately, another parking lot is not going to magically appear near the SURC anytime soon.

People that have gone to a community college and commuted to school everyday, while fighting for a parking spot, know the feeling well.

When I was at Green River College, there were 10,000 students enrolled and 2,000 parking spots – not very good odds whatsoever.

Fortunately, they provided some relief for people willing to arrive early. People could park at Pacific Raceways and take a shuttle over to the college.

The shuttle was a six to eight minute drive. There were two of them going, one at the raceway taking people and the other picking up students to take back.

Yes, sometimes you would have to sit next to a smelly person and have to wake up and leave earlier but having the peace of mind in already have a guaranteed parking spot while not having to stress was worth it.

Central Washington University needs to incorporate a shuttle system (separate from Central Transit) to help with the demand of parking needed in the morning and afternoon when everyone is in class.

All they would need is a couple drivers to go back and forth from 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on Monday through Friday.

A place that already has parking spots would be the Kittitas Valley Event Center, but there could be some conflict with preparing for weekend events on Friday. This location is almost close enough for students to walk over, but it would be a good idea to shuttle students over.

Another good spot to have the parking lot would be north of campus where many apartments are. Many students could walk or park and be shuttled over to the SURC.

Of course there would not be a place ready to use, all that would be needed is space and grass or gravel to use.

A couple other good places are east of town down Vantage Highway or south of town by the hospital.

The cost of this would be going to the students and the university, which could get expensive with paying two full-time drivers, gas and maintenance of the vehicles.

The grass field across from Wendell Hill Hall and Student Village would be a perfect place to have extra parking. Without necessarily needing a shuttle service here students could walk.

Having a shuttle service would meet the parking demand that the university has, while not taking up space near the school.