‘Call Me Home’ author to give talk

Ana Laura Lopes Contiferreira, Staff Reporter

Megan Kruse, invited to Central for the Lion Rock writer series, will be giving both a craft talk and reading for students at Central.

Kruse’s first craft talk is titled “Crafting Emotion: Object Resonance and Transcendent Details.”

Kruse will be reading from her famous novel, “Call Me Home,” in her second talk that evening.

Kruse was recently named by the National Book Foundation as one of the “5 Under 35” honorees.

According to the synopsis, the book tells the story about a family from three different perspectives.

One perspective is focused on Amy, a woman that leaves home at the age of 19 to live with a man and her two children, Jackson and Lydia. These children have to live with their parents’ abusive relationship, causing emotional issues.

The story is about people having to live with the choices they make.

According to Lisa Norris, who is in charge of the Lion Rock project and is the coordinator of the professional and creative writing major for the campus, this project promotes interdisciplinarity and collaboration while providing a bridge to the community.

“Many universities have visiting writing programs to expose students to ideas and different ways of writing. This is a great way for them to meet living writers; this brings some excitement,” Norris said.

According to Norris, an average of 100 to 150 students come to the meetings.

“That’s a good opportunity to do some networking,” Norris said.

The presentations will also be available online. To gain access, students will need to request a link through Lisa Norris.

Kruse is not the only writer coming this year. There will be other writers including Ava Chin, Fred D’Aguiar and Natalie Diaz.

Chin is the author of the book “Eating Wildly,” and she will be presenting a craft talk called “Why I Write: Tips for Aspiring Writers” in April.

Chin’s book was chosen as the novel for the “One Book One Region” reading program and Central’s book club this quarter.

According to Norris, they are still in the process of contacting other writers.

One of these writers is Tim O’brien, a writer known for his novel “The Things They Carried”, in which he wrote short stories inspired by his experiences in the Vietnam War.

Nothing is confirmed yet, but the Lion Rock team is committed to bringing him in and giving students the opportunity to meet him.