Central theatre students’ Cabaret focuses on student struggles

June 3, 2015

Sex, drugs and musicals aren’t often immediately associated with each other, but that hasn’t stopped the Central Theatre Organization (CTO).

The CTO will be putting on “Sex, Drugs and Musical Theatre: A Cabaret of Real Issues” next week. The performance will address current social issues of today, involving sex, drugs, relationships, suicide and more.

The goal of the production is to better connect with a younger audience who may be dealing with similar issues. The performances will be on Friday, June 5 and Saturday, June 6 in McConnell Hall Tower Theatre at 7 p.m.

Rebecca Kelly, sophomore musical theatre major, said this will be her first time participating in a cabaret show.

According to Kelly, the difference between a cabaret and a traditional play is that a cabaret is a series of musical numbers that have a common theme but no continuous storyline.

Kelly said this was also the first time she choreographed a show.

“I have choreographed two numbers for the show,” Kelly said. “I’ve really enjoyed being able to have the chance to do choreography because, up until now, I’ve never really had the chance to show some of my creative ideas.”

Some of the roles Kelly will be playing include the conscience of a pregnant girl, a drug addict and a girl who is caught in the crosshairs of a bad relationship.

“That’s the really neat thing about having the opportunity of this cabaret show,” Kelly said. “We all get to be really creative and it’s free of expectation.”

Kayla Shaffroth, sophomore musical theatre major, said most of the plays done at Central are geared towards the older generation in town, but the musical numbers in this cabaret will be more relatable to a younger generation.

“There will be songs about drug use, depression, sex and relationships,” Shaffroth said. “We’re trying to get the younger generations into theatre, because we have great support from the older generation. However, I feel like we’ve lost that interest from the younger…we’re trying to show them how magical theatre can be.”

Shaffroth will be playing a variety of different characters.

“I have a bully as one [character],” Shaffroth said. “I’ll have a drug addict as another. I’ll also be playing a girl who deals with constantly getting turned down by a guy.”

Shaffroth said that although she hasn’t had a lot of experience with acting in this genre, she’s enjoyed the growing process. She also enjoyed doing the behavioral research required for these types of characters so she could create a level of authenticity that audiences appreciate.
This production differs from others in the past, as all of the other shows the CTO puts on are faculty driven, whereas this cabaret was almost completely student produced and overseen.