OPR kicks off spring climbing season

Brienna Petersen, Staff Reporter

climbing2Weekends in Ellensburg don’t have to be spent in boredom or solitude. In fact, the staff at Central’s Outdoor Pursuits and Recreation (OPR) might argue the best way to spend the day is out in the elements.

As part of their outdoor events this Spring season, OPR is putting on a series of climbing trips for those who know their way around a mountain and up a rope.

Starting April 18, OPR is kicking the season off with a trip to Frenchman’s Coulee, a rock climbing location not far from Ellensburg.

They will be leaving at 9 a.m. and returning at 6 p.m.. The entry fee is $35 for CWU students and rec center members and $45 for general admission.

Participants must pre-register for the events, which they can do at the OPR front desk Monday through Friday from noon till      6 p.m. The trip will be lead by Melissa Robertson, interim assistant director and accompanied by Logan Scully, senior climbing program supervisor.

Robertson said the day-trip will include equipment along with transportation. However, rope belay certification is required.

“This is a great trip for all experiences, whether you’re a beginner or advanced,” Robertson said.

Frenchman’s Coulee is not too far from Ellensburg in Vantage, Wash., the core of rock climbing in Central Washington.

According to Robertson, the coulee was left behind from the great ice age floods.

Starting from the head of the trail, the climb leads straight up to the base of the coulee.

On May 2 and 3 OPR is also hosting an over night backpacking trip to Manastash Lake, also known as “The Lost Lake.”

This trip departs on Saturday at 9 a.m. and returns the next evening. It’s $50 for students and rec center members and $60 for general admission.

The third trip will be the following weekend on May 9 and 10 to Mt. St. Helens. They will depart at 9 a.m. that Saturday and return late Sunday night.

This trip starts at $100 for students and rec center members and $125 for general admission.

According to the Mount St. Helens informational website, hiking and tourist activities on the inactive volcano began following the massive eruption in 1980.

For Robertson and Scully, hiking the national monument is a great way to see the history of the state first-hand while being active outdoors.

“This will be a great way to see the beautiful surroundings,” Robertson said. “The trip will be rad and a great way to make new friends through an awesome bonding experience.”