Central takes on Vikings and Clan

Donnie Santos, Staff Reporter

The women’s volleyball team (15-6 overall, 8-5 GNAC) is coming off a split weekend in Alaska. Central is continuing to fight for one of the top spots in the conference as the season is nearing its end.

On Thursday, University of Alaska Anchorage (17-4 overall, 11-2 GNAC), who is currently ranked second in the league, swept the Wildcats. Central was able to regroup and take three games from University of Alaska Fairbanks (4-20 overall, 2-11 GNAC) to end the weekend.

Central will host Simon Fraser University (14-6 overall, 8-4 GNAC) on Oct. 30 and rival Western Washington University (17-4 overall, 10-2 GNAC) on Nov. 1. Central lost the previous time they played the Clan and the Vikings, so the Wildcats will be looking to even the score.

PREPPED - Kaitlin Quirk, Catie Fry and Linden Firethorne call the play for the rest of the team before the serve.
Susis Comyns
PREPPED – Kaitlin Quirk, Catie Fry and Linden Firethorne call the play for the rest of the team before the serve.

Central will be relying heavily on the consistent hitting from junior Linden Firethorne and redshirt sophomore Kiah Jones.

Last Thursday, Jones led with eight kills and on Saturday, Firethorne led with 18.

“Our individual success has been a team effort,” Jones said. “We wouldn’t be able to do it without our passers and Catie [Fry] setting. We have been working hard to keep getting better and be more efficient on offense”

Central will need to create a a hot streak in order to have a chance at regionals. These last five games will determine the team’s ranking going into post season.

“We have to take all our remaining games one at a time,” Firethorne said. “We can’t focus on anything past this weekend. If we want to make it to regionals and have a chance to play in the post season, then all we can do is get the job done this weekend. We always look forward to the Western Washington games.”

Every game is going to play a part in the NCAA selection committee’s choices for which teams will be playing in the regional tournament on Nov. 20-22. Central hopes to make an appearance for the third consecutive year.

The games against Simon Fraser and Western Washington are on Thursday and Saturday, respectively, at 7 p.m. at Nicholson Pavilion. These will be two of the last three home games of the season for the Wildcats.