New alumni director named

Rashay Reading, Staff Reporter

Robert Ford has worked at Central for 13 years. Beginning with a job in recreation, he has been the director of Campus Life for about two and a half years.

On Oct. 20, Ford will start his new position as senior director of Alumni and Constituent Relations.

New alumni director, Rob Ford
New alumni director, Rob Ford

Ford said he has always had a passion for working with students and providing a great experience on campus. This passion is what eventually brought him to Central. Ford also said he grew up in Yakima and graduated from Western Washington University with a Bachelor’s degree in history.

Paula Moffatt, secretary supervisor for Ford, has worked with him since he became the director of campus life.

“I’ve enjoyed working with Bob, he brings energy and new ideas, and he’s very compassionate about students,” Moffatt said.

Ford said he cares about working with students at Central, but he cares about lifelong learning even after graduating from school as well.

Ford’s colleague, Scott Drummond, the director of Campus Activities, has been working with Ford for about 12 years.

“Robert has a very bright mind, very inquisitive, and is very much a team builder that wants to support individuals,” Drummond said.

Drummond said Central’s alumni program is very good; all students are future alumni.

“In the career of higher education, we’re called to grow ourselves as professionals, and we challenge our students, and campus life, here at the university, to continue that kind of lifelong learning,” Ford said. “So for me it’s been a series of opportunities to grow and give back to the institution, to support student growth.”

The relationships with students should not only be while they are here, but should be continued past their graduation date, Ford said.

“If I follow this life cycle of a student, what’s the next step, what’s beyond Central,” Ford asked. “So this position really calls that out for me, an opportunity to really grow and develop our alumni program.”