Primate Awareness Week

Clarissa Posner, Staff Reporter

Central Washington University sets itself apart from other schools by being the only university in the country that offers both an M.S. degree and undergraduate program in primatology.

“The undergraduate primate behavior and ecology program has about 30 students. The Graduate Primate Behavior program has about 20 students,” Jake Funkhouser, senator of the Primate Awareness Network said. These dedicated students study primate behaviors.

Last Saturday was the beginning of CWU’s Primate Awareness Week, which is being put on by the Primate Awareness Network. CWU has had a Primate Awareness Network Club since 2008.

“Our students travel all over the world to collect research on a variety of issues in primatology,” Funkhouser said. “Dr. Lori Sheeran leads a research site in The Valley of the Wild Monkey in China for research on Tibetan macaques. I did my research on howler monkey, capuchin, and spider monkey rescue, rehabilitation, and release on the Chiriquí Peninsula of Panama.”

Funkhouser said many CWU students study at the Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest in Cle Elum. They can work one-on-one with the staff to gain more experience in captive care.

Primate Awareness Week started on May 21 and will end on May 27.

On Monday, Pledge for Primates was held on the west patio of the Student Union and Recreation Center. And allowed students to pledge to protect primate life.

On Tuesday, Diana Goodrich, Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest co-director discussed the challenges that face people who retire primates from research and entertainment.

Additionally, there was a presentation from the North American Primate Sanctuary Alliance (NAPSA).

On Wednesday, Denise Spaan, National Geographic young explorer, spoke on the challenges that face spider monkeys.

“We’re hoping the Pledge for Primates event will bring the most educational conservation awareness,” Funkhouse said. “But we’re all excited to meet and hear from Dr. Crickette Sanz, who is a Central alumni and co-director of an amazing wild chimpanzee field-site in Africa.”

Sanz will be the last event of Primate Awareness Week. She will talk about the Goualougo Triangle Ape Project.