Michael Messner to speak on women in sports tonight in the SURC Ballroom

Mitchell Johnson, Senior Reporter

With many different issues going on in women’s sports, like the current issue with the U.S. Women’s National Team looking to receive pay equal to their male counterparts, Central will give students a unique look on how this subject is portrayed in the media.

Michael Messner, an award-winning sociology professor from the University of Southern California, will be giving his speech “Women in sports, time for a victory lap?” in the SURC Ballroom on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.

“Professor Messner is one of the leading scholars, if not the leading scholar, on the subject,” said Judith Hennessy director of women’s and gender studies, in a press release. “We are honored to have him visit CWU and to provide the opportunity for our students and community to hear him speak.”

According to his University of Southern California bio, Messner became interested in this field during the 1970s when he was an undergraduate at California State University Chico. At the same time, the women’s and anti-war movements were going on. He earned a doctorate at University of California Berkeley where he focused on gender, men and masculinity.

He was the first man to be honored with the Jessie Bernard Award that is given for scholarly work in broadening the horizons of encompassing the role of women in society.

He also received the American Sociology Association award for contributions in feminist teaching and starting research in the role genders play in sports and media coverage of women’s sports.

“We’re just excited to have such an admired, and expertise on a particular subject,” Hennessy said.