Aviation needs emergency funding

Kailian Manandic, Assistant News Editor

Central’s aviation department is in a state of emergency and is requesting $3.5 million in state funding to expand its facilities.

Central currently has 150 students studying aviation with only one classroom in the aviation facility. Other classes are held in Black Hall where the department chair, Sundaram Nataraja, is stationed.

According to Nataraja, the aviation facilities are inadequate for current students and faculty. This is a problem considering that the aviation program is growing.

Last year, the program doubled in size and Nataraja said he expects about 100 incoming students next fall quarter. Eventually, he said he would like the program to involve over 1,000 students.

“In order to meet the demand of the industry for qualified professionals,” Nataraja said. “We, as a state school, have a kind of responsibility to provide man power.”

To help alleviate this problem, Nataraja and Central President James Gaudino went to Olympia on Jan. 28 to request $3.5 million in emergency state funding.

Washington Legislature’s aviation caucus is still deciding on the grant, but Nataraja is hopeful.

“I personally expect, yes, it’ll happen,” Nataraja said. “We didn’t go there begging for money, but we sent a message.”

Nataraja expects to receive the caucus’ decision within the next two months and the facilities to be built within an additional two to three months, just in time for Fall quarter.

The Washington Legislature plans school funding every other year and the next period will be the summer of 2017. This is why the aviation department needs emergency funding, according to Nataraja.

Additionally, during the next funding period, Nataraja plans to request funding to build a hangar for the aircraft. Currently, the planes are exposed to the elements during winter.

The current facility consist of one classroom, two faculty offices, 10 flight briefing rooms, a small testing rooms and two flight simulator rooms.

All of the emergency funding will go towards finishing the current aviation facility, which is only in phase one of production. Phase two will add four classrooms and four faculty offices.

These additions were a part of the original plan formed in 2007 but, according to Nataraja, because of the 2008 financial crisis, only the first phase was constructed.

The funding will only go towards the raw materials and building of phase two. The design is drawn out in the 2007 plan and any leftover funding will go towards more classrooms.

Additionally, the new facilities will prevent a current problem of student parking.

Since aviation students rush between the aviation facility and Black Hall for classes, they often have trouble with parking and getting to class on time.

The completion of the new facility will provide a space for all students and faculty to meet under one roof and help streamline the curriculum.

In addition to growing the program to 1,000 students, Nataraja wants to diversify the undergraduate curriculum and even provide a Master’s Degree in aviation.

The current undergrad program consists of a Bachelor of Science in Professional Piloting and Aviation Management. Nataraja hopes to add mechanic and maintenance specializations.

The master’s program is already planned out and just needs approval by the faculty senate. Nataraja is looking to have it ready by next fall quarter.

According to Nataraja, the aviation department also plans to reach out to its over 1,400 alumni, some of which are captains for Delta and United Airlines

“We want to connect with them and bring them home so they can be an inspiration for our young students,” Nataraja said.

Because of FAA regulations requiring pilots to retire at 65, Nataraja expects the U.S. will need about 110,000 pilots and 60,000 aviation managers next year.

He is excited to give students the opportunity to fill these positions.

“The department is looking forward to providing quality oriented education, a memorable learning experience and a compassionate environment for students,” Nataraja said.