Central welcomes new coffee hangout 1891 Bistro

Kailan Manandic, Assistant News Editor

The newest addition to Central’s cafe scene, 1891 Bistro, has made itself known a month after its soft opening.

Filled with faculty and students alike, the bistro maintained a steady stream of customers throughout its grand opening last Thursday. According to Joel Klucking, the assistant vice president of finance, it was their busiest night yet.

Wellington joins students at   the grand opening of 1891 Bistro
Brittany Allen/Observer
Wellington joins students at the grand opening of 1891 Bistro

The bistro offered free coffee and ice cream, attempting to get students in the door. That was the goal of the event, according to Klucking, “to raise awareness.”

Prior to last Thursday, the bistro had been open since Nov. 30, but avoided any exposure. The staff used this soft opening as an opportunity to work out the kinks.

“We knew if we didn’t make it before Thanksgiving,” Klucking said. “We wouldn’t have enough students here because we were heading into finals week.”

Formerly known as Wellington’s Cafe, 1891 Bistro was overhauled from a sit-down restaurant to a coffee house.  According to Klucking, the focus is no longer food, “it’s more about the environment and the space.”

The bistro will also work together with the food truck that is stationed just outside their door, so students can grab a meal to eat in the cafe.

D&M coffee, Central’s coffee supplier, designed the bistro. Taking inspiration from Seattle and Portland style cafés, 1891 uses a “mix match of furniture,” with everything from sofas to dining tables.

Students are excited about the new space to socialize and study.

“There’s lots of open space and seating,” said Camie Rodd, senior elementary education major.

Annelise Fishel, a freshman theatre major, has been going since the opening and is excited for business to pick up.

“It hasn’t been this packed yet,” Fishel said. “Once the snow melts, I’ll be coming here everyday.

Upperclassmen are happy with the switch from Wellington’s Cafe.

“It’s a huge improvement from my freshman year,” said Connor Fobes, senior elementary education major.

The idea for the bistro began with students. Multiple surveys were sent out asking students how they wanted the space to be used.

The results came back with overwhelming support for a coffee shop.

“Hands down that was the most popular idea,” Klucking said.

From there, a student committee was formed in April 2015 and development began. By June, they had their first designs from D&M.

Central President James Gaudino attended the grand opening congratulating the staff fitting the space to the students’ needs.

“This is how a university should work,” Gaudino said, “and it’s how CWU now does work.”

Gaudino encourages students to continue giving feedback to the university.

“That’s the way projects like this are most successful,” Gaudino said.

The bistro team plans on working on future events. According to Kluckland, they’ll do everything they can to keep students interested, including Seahawks games, open-mic nights and happy hours.