Central sports update

Austin Bennett, Assistant Sports Editor

Volleyball

No. 25 Central extended their winning streak to six games after defeating Concordia University (CU) and Western Oregon University (WOU) Halloween weekend.

The Wildcats held onto their four-way tie for first place in the GNAC with a 12-2 conference record. Fellow conference leaders Northwest Nazarene University, Western Washington University and University of Alaska Anchorage all came out victorious this past weekend as well.

The Wildcats next game comes with conference title implications. Central travels north to take on No. 11 Alaska-Anchorage, Thursday.

Central will then travel to University of Alaska Fairbanks on Saturday to finish their Alaskan excursion.

Football

The Wildcats are coming off a much needed bye week after three consecutive losses. Central put themselves in a 3-5 hole after their loss against Humboldt State University during homecoming week.

In light of losing during homecoming week, sophomore punter Jonathan Kuhn was named GNAC special teams player of the week.

Kuhn averaged 40 yards per punt, netting a total of 283 yards on seven punts. Kuhn’s longest punt went for 60 yards.

In two of their last three games, the Wildcats lost by seven points or less, giving them a conference record of 1-3.

Central’s next game will be against Simon Fraser University on Saturday.

Soccer

Central’s playoff hopes were terminated by Montana State University Billings (MSUB) this past Saturday. The Wildcats were fighting for the last playoff spot in the GNAC championship, just needing one win to enter.

The team went 3-0-1 in four games, before the match with MSUB, to keep their playoff hopes alive.

MSUB scored in the 49th minute, giving them a 1-0 lead, which eventually won the match.

The Wildcats had multiple opportunities for an equalizer, as they had two shots on goal in the 78th and 81st minute.

Central had their third opportunity to score when they received a corner kick in the 90th minute, however, MSUB cleared the ball and retained the lead.

Junior Allie Bohnett and sophomores Mackenzie Nolte and Whitney Lowe all earned Second Team All-GNAC spots.