Cramming with caffeine in Brooks

Destini Dickinson, Staff Reporter

If you build it, they will come. At least that’s the mentality Molly Allen and Michele Reilly of the Brooks Library had in mind for Jimmy B’s coffee shop.

“We want to provide a service to our students,” said Reilly, Associate Dean of Libraries. “That’s the real reason.”

The coffee shop is named after James Brooks, the past president of the university. There is no set opening date due to construction not being completed.

Allen, lead secretary for the library, said they did a survey online for ideas for food, seating, and operation hours. There was a lot of feedback from past students who have graduated. Additionally, a range of students from freshmen to seniors participated in the survey.

Allen added they were disappointed that the coffee shop wasn’t built while many of them were still students at Central.

“They can expect new features and services,” Allen said. “The ability to come and study and stay longer.”

Prices will be similar to those everywhere else on campus with the added bonus of being able to pay with cash, debit, or credit card. However, students cannot use connection cards, said Reilly.

“We’ve been working on getting a coffee shop in the library for at least the last two and a half to three years,” Reilly said.

The pair said no funding will come from student fees. Most of the money was allocated from savings that had been put aside for new projects. The decision to use the money was made by a committee and was based on the feedback from students.

The library is also saving costs by recycling materials such as walls for the coffee shop. Additionally, reused and repurposed furniture will be used as seating for students. Dining services provided equipment and a coffee cart.

Jimmy B’s will be located on the first floor of the library, next to the DVD section. Originally, the space had a garage-type roll top door that opens up, where students would buy their drinks and snacks at “the garage.”

Reilly and Allen said they wanted to create a coffee shop feel, so bistro style tables will be placed between the DVDs and the restrooms. The space was converted to a study area for students.

“We do not have a set date yet,” Reilly said about opening. They’re waiting on construction to be complete before setting a date, but a tentative timeline for opening is the first or second week of November.

Allen added, “But then again that all depends on construction… but it is coming soon.”

It’s very close – the cash register just arrived, and is even sitting on Allen’s desk, waiting to be used.

Coffee is definitely the main priority, but the shop will also have other hot drinks and bottled drinks, as well as trail mix, protein bars and the like.

The shop will have a variety of things people either can’t acquire on campus, or that are healthier than vending machine snacks. “Brain food,” Allen added.

Ellensburg’s D&M Coffee will supply the beans, which are locally roasted in town.

Mark Holloway, owner of D&M, has been helping get the shop open and training students who will be working at Jimmy B’s as if they were being trained as D&M employees.

Allen added that in the past it’s been pick-up-and-go to get coffee or a snack, but with the incoming coffee shop, students won’t have to do that. Students won’t have to walk across campus to the SURC in the dark to get a coffee or a snack.

“We’re very excited,” said Reilly.