CWU online English wins national award

Chase Tibbles/Observer

Stacey Robertson says the program stands out due to the faculty who teach online.

Julia Moreno, Assistant News Editor

Central is going viral—and not in the usual way. Central’s online English program was recently ranked seventh amongst similar programs in the nation by BestSchools.org.

Created two years ago the Central English department developed the Online Professional and Creative Writing program to offer students an education without having to be on campus.

“[The program is] unique in offering students a course of study which incorporates a variety of creative writing workshops and professional/technical classes with literature classes and practicum opportunities,” said Katharine Whitcomb, director of the program and English professor at Central. “We prepare students for success in many careers—it’s an extremely versatile and marketable degree.

The program offers online courses such as poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, playwriting and screenwriting. The degree also offers classes in professional, technical and editing skills necessary for the workplace.  

The program allows students to customize their education by giving them the option to pick and choose their courses based on their interests and career plans.

BestSchools.org rates online programs on the quality, type and range of courses as well as faculty strength.

Stacey Robertson, dean of the College of Arts and Humanities, said the reason the program stands out from other online programs is because of the tenured faculty members who teach the online courses.

“A tenured faculty member is extremely experienced, comes in with the highest credentials,” Robertson said. “Becoming a tenured faculty member at this institution means you come with a level of excellence that is deep and thorough.”

Robertson said online programs are often taught by non-tenured or half-time faculty who generally do not have as much schooling as a tenured faculty member.

“You’re going to have faculty members who have the highest degree possible, who have very high qualifications,” Robertson said. “In a lot of other online programs, you’re having folks who maybe don’t have that high degree or the experience.”

The program offers ten faculty-level professors to teach courses in the program.

George Drake, co-creator of the online program and an English professor, said this is one of the largest programs in the English department. Currently, 73 students are enrolled in the program.

Whitcomb said this is because students are not just limited to those living in the Pacific Northwest, but include people in Colorado, California, Idaho, and even India.

Students enrolled in the course are offered the same résumé-building opportunities as traditional students, like internships and practicums.

“We created an online practicum last year and students worked on a handbook project,” Drake said.

Additionally, Whitcomb said the program incorporates internships by partnering with businesses close to where the students live. They correspond through email with the business sponsor and student.

Drake said the purpose of the online program is to serve students who want to obtain their degree but aren’t able to attend classes on campus.

The program, however, is not limited to students who cannot come to campus and is available to any students who live on campus or in Ellensburg.

“We believe that the brick and mortar classroom is absolutely, critically important.” Robertson said. “ And we’re never going to become an [entirely] online institution, but we do want to provide to the broadest array of students with an opportunity to get an education.”

CLARIFICATION:

The CWU online English wins national award story done by Julia Moreno implied tenured faculty members only taught the program. Both tenured and non-tenured faculty members teach the Online English Program. Additionally, the story stated the program is open to on-campus students. The online professional and creative writing program is designed and limited to students who cannot attend classes on campus in-person on the Ellensburg campus.