Meet Central’s new ASCWU Student Government President

May 20, 2015

Ryan Anderson was announced as the Central 2015-2016 Student Government President after elections last week.

Anderson grew up in Kenmore, Wash. He graduated from the International Baccalaureate program at Inglemoor High School.

His favorite subject at Central so far has been French, mostly because he thinks Professor Hallenbeck is great.

Anderson is also a dog-lover and grew up with pets. He currently has two puppies named Louis and Bristol.

Some of his favorite musical artists are Iron & Wine, Andrew Byrd, Mumford & Sons, Bill Withers and Natalie Weiss.

Anderson was originally accepted into the Tisch School of Performing Arts at New York University (NYU), but because of the egregious amount of money required to attend NYU, he chose to attend a college in state. From there, he chose Central because it is the only public university in the state to offer a BFA musical theatre degree.

Anderson has been in productions at Seattle’s 5th Avenue Theater. He also has choral experience with the Seattle Symphony. Anderson continues to train in acting, singing and dancing. He has explored many other aspects of theatre since beginning his education at Central, including composing, directing and playwriting.

“My favorite thing about Central is that it is a university where me, as an individual, is valued and encouraged to take in as much as I can,” Anderson said.

Anderson is studying for his BFA in musical theatre and BA in political science, while minoring in nonprofit management. Anderson is only in his second year at Central, but is a junior credit-wise. In addition to his academic pursuits, Anderson currently serves as president of the Douglas Honors College Student Association.

Anderson says the close-knit friendships he’s made over his two years at Central is the favorite part of his college experience so far.

“I love to write songs and poetry. Currently, I am working on a musical with a friend of mine to be workshopped here at Central,” Anderson said.

Since winning the election, Anderson is excited about getting involved and engaged on campus.

“I challenge the students to get involved with me, because the more the students who are involved in their education at this university, the more positive changes we can see made,” Anderson said.

Anderson believes Central needs an identity of its own.

“Next year, the ASCWU hopes to foster and nurture traditions here at Central that can help to establish a better sense of belonging to something that is greater than you, instead of a conglomerate of many special programs and colleges,” Anderson said.

Anderson hopes to work on creating a composting program, as well as expanding and improving the current recycling programs on campus.

“It is up to the student what they would like to see, and we encourage people to come up to the offices in SURC 236 to have discussions about what they would like to see,” Anderson said.