Central students gearing up for camp C-Woo

Alexa Olague, Staff Reporter

cwu
Photo courtesy of Patrick Peyonar

Camp C-Woo will take place throughout Central’s campus, with an emphasis on health, activity, education and fun.

Camp director Corey Sinclair began running the camp in 2006. Sinclair describes his job as very satisfying and rewarding.

“One thing I really enjoy is seeing the kids interact with the college students,” Sinclair said. “Young kids need positive role models and seeing how much they respect and learn from the college students is such a powerful and inspiring thing.”

Through Camp C-Woo, campers create strong bonds and friendships that will last for years to come.

“I have witnessed parents and campers cry when their time came to an end at Camp C-Woo,” Sinclair said. “Knowing that we have created that strong bond with the families is extremely rewarding and something I aim to do with this program.”

A unique feature of Camp C-Woo is it’s options for English language learners.

These children attend a class with local elementary school teachers to improve their English.

Field trips to the Moses Lake Aquatic Center or biking at Lake Easton are offered for campers to add a change of scenery from being on campus all day.

Junior elementary education major Haley Miller worked as a camp counselor at Camp C-Woo last summer.

Miller has worked all school year to assist Sinclair and bring new vivid ideas to improve the camp overall.

“Camp C-Woo’s goal is to offer a safe environment where kids can have fun, make new friends and create unforgettable memories,” Miller said. “The campers spend their summer with positive role models.”

Central students that will be in class during Fall 2015 can apply to be a part of the Camp C-Woo counselor team.

Counselors will lead campers in multiple activities including swimming, scavenger hunts and even climbing the rock wall in the SURC.

Camp counselors are encouraged to have previous experience working with children.

Students will gain a multitude of skills including leadership, administrative skills and will gain practical experience working with children.

Camp C-Woo runs for nine weeks, from June 22 to Aug. 21. Children can either attend camp for the full nine weeks, or can sign up for specific weeks.