Science Phase II construction update

Bradly Smith, Staff Reporter

The mild weather this winter has played a significant role in keeping Science Phase II construction on schedule.

“We are on schedule to be done by the projected date,” said Ryan Swartz, the project engineer for Lydig Construction.

That date is Dec. 31 this year.

“The mild weather has helped us with the cast-in-place concrete,” Swartz said.

Swartz explained that cast-in-place concrete is a method using pre-mixed concrete that is placed into removable forms, built on- site.

The entire project will use about 7,500 cubic yards of concrete when all is said and done.

“We are using concrete instead of steel columns,” Swartz said. “The steel columns go up a lot quicker than the concrete does.”

The drying process of the concrete can slow down the overall construction rate. However, because of the fair weather, Lydig is on its way to on-time completion.

After Dec. 31, there will be a period of 60 days that will be used for touch ups, testing and getting all of the equipment into the building.

In May of 2014, Science Phase II broke ground. At the start of construction for the new building, an open public ceremony displayed what the project had in store for Central students.

It was projected that the overall cost of the project would be around $66 million. According to the Central website, $61 million was given for the building itself and another “$6 million will be used to connect the facility to the campus information, power and utilities.”

Lydig put in the lowest bid for the job at about $37 million. That only includes the construction of the building, Swartz said.

This cost does not include all of the furniture and electronic equipment that Central will be installing upon completion.

The construction has helped the local economy as well.

“Throughout the entire project there will be about three to four hundred people working, if not more,” Swartz said.

These numbers include both full and part-time workers. Swartz also said that there may be people who he only needs to work on site for a few weeks at a time.

Swartz said Lydig has several other subcontractors, such as landscapers and mechanical workers, that come and go as needed.

There are always different jobs that need to be done that require different fields of expertise.

Charles Goodwin, a junior geography major, is looking forward to the new building.

“Dean Hall is where I spend a lot of my time. I think the new building is a great investment,” Goodwin said. “I’m excited to be able to see the finished project next year and be able to use it.”