Review: Sara Jean’s Sweets and Moose Tracks Coffee

Brittany Allen, Staff Reporter

Sara Jean’s Sweets, a small space serving big flavor, pairs fairly well with Moose Tracks Coffee.

Moose Tracks Coffee and Sara Jean’s Sweets, located on the corner of 5th and Main, is decorated in a manner which makes the rather modest-sized eatery feel cozy, rather than crammed.

Their February decorations of red heart decor compliments the pre-existing color scheme of little turquoise tables and velvety red accents.

Among the velvet red accents are red mugs and industrial style lights, all hung from the ceiling above the espresso machines.

Although the color scheme of light blues and reds seems a bit vintage, this place and its sweets are nothing but modern.

It has the hip vibe of a café, with the bonus of gourmet cupcakes.

Although they are located on one of the busiest streets in Ellensburg, the low-key atmosphere, infused with the aroma of freshly brewed espresso, makes this place ideal for conversation.

Whether you’re looking to satisfy a sweet tooth, a caffeine craving on-the-go, or just meeting up with a friend, Sara Jean’s is just far enough from campus to make students feel removed from the sometimes overwhelming world of academia.

You can also get a 12-ounce drink and a cupcake for under $10, a price befitting a college student who is tired of the usual SURC offerings.

As a sucker for a good peanut butter to chocolate ratio, I had the peanut butter cupcake. It consisted of a chocolate cupcake topped with peanut butter frosting and a sliver of a peanut butter cup wedged decoratively inside it.

The ratio was pleasing and the sweetness was nicely cut with the bitter coffee taste of my latte from Moose Tracks Coffee.

My companion, a barista, gave a good review of her Café Cubano (Americano), a Moose Tracks creation. She even admitted that she doesn’t normally drink Americanos, but thoroughly enjoyed this particular drink.

The coffee also helped balance out the sweetness of her “Sweethawks” cupcake, which was apparently too sweet due to the amount of frosting.

The “Sweethawks” cupcake comes in both chocolate and vanilla flavors and is topped with Super Bowl winning colors (blue and green, of course).

The employees are just as sweet as their cupcakes.

The barista on duty was very friendly and more than happy to explain the specifics of the drinks ordered.

The drinks were well-made and ready to drink in a matter of moments.

The the combination of coffee and cupcakes proves just as complimentary as the combination of Sara Jean’s Sweets and downtown Ellensburg.