On the road again

Maxwell Monson, Staff Reporter

The Central women’s basketball team is preparing to face off against Northwest Nazarene University (NNU) on the road in Nampa, Idaho, which will finsh their three game road trip. Central holds a 9-7 overall record and sits at fifth place in the GNAC.

Central will look to senior guard Courtney Johnson, who is averaging 13.8 points per game, and freshman guard Jasmin Edwards, who is averaging 13.5 points per game, to try and make a jump in the GNAC standings with two big wins.

This win would give them a huge boost in the standings, which might be enough to propel the Wildcats into the fourth spot in the GNAC.

“Huge match up, to be 5-4 after the first half, that’s where we want to be” Coach Jeff Harada said.
Johnson, has been a key piece to the Wildcat’s season thus far and will need to continue to do so if the Wildcats are going to keep making jumps in the standings.
Johnson had a tough outing Saturday night shooting 1-9 from the field, but she is looking to catch her spark again for these upcoming games.

“Road games are tough in the GNAC, top to bottom we have one of the most competitive leagues in the nation. You need to make sure to get your mind right.” Johnson said.
Central has undegone road woes for most of the season, but was able to capture their first conference road victory in Billings, Mont. on Thursday night, beating the Montana State-Billings Yellowjackets by a score of 75-54.
The win against the Yellowjackets  was a key victory. It helped break down the barrier, which could lead to more road wins

“The road win versus Montana State-Billings Excites us, gets us ready for the next road win. We definitely expect to win this game.” Junior forward Jasmine Parker said.
The Wildcats will look to continue their streak versus NNU on Saturday.
They will have their hands full dealing with NNU’s junior guard Taylor Simmons.
Simmons is averaging 13.6 points, 4.6 assists and 3.1 steals per game. According to Harada the Wildcats will need to put some extra focus on Simmons.

“Contain, great player. Keep her in front of us, she is a good three point shooter, we need to force her into tough contested shots.” Coach  Harada said.
The Wildcats and first year head coach Jeff Harada will look to shake things up in the GNAC and get the Wildcats back on track for an NCAA playoff berth for the first time since 2003.