‘Die Fledermaus:’ A fresh take on a timeless classic

Gabriel+von+Eisenstein+onstage.+
Brandon Mattesich
Gabriel von Eisenstein onstage.

Before scandal, elaborate schemes and cheating spouses were the popular topic of TV shows and celebrity gossip, crowds in 1874 Vienna flocked to the opera house to see these plot lines come to life in “Die Fledermaus.” On April 11, a modern adaptation of “Die Fledermaus”— commonly known as “The Revenge of the Bat” in English — will hit the stage at the McConnell Auditorium. The production will be accompanied by CWU’s award-winning chamber orchestra under the direction of Nikolas Caoile.

Director Gayla Blaisdell likens the comedic opera to a rom-com, reminding audiences that “People need to remember that… what they think of as opera is only a very specific sliver of opera,” and that what they’ll see on stage is far from the serious black tie affair that dominates popular assumptions. The sentiment was echoed by student performer Moira Mcgregor who will be playing the leading role of Rosalinda in two shows. Mcgregor assures her peers that “We’re college students too… we wouldn’t be doing it if we didn’t enjoy it, and we wouldn’t be putting it on the stage for others to come and enjoy if we didn’t think it was approachable.” 

The focus on making the production accessible and enjoyable to all audiences harkens back to the department’s mantra: “Opera is for Everyone.” Blaisdell and her crew of performers are confident that modern touches and timeless themes are sure to entertain and break down stigmas about opera. “Die Fledermaus” is for more than just a select group of people, it is for anyone looking for a night of laughter, talent and a performance they can connect to. “It’s not as scary as people think,” were the words of Velia Saldivar who will play the role of Adele in two performances. Saldivar compares the production to a sporting event; a place to come and feel comfortable, embrace emotions and get lost in the drama. 

Gabriel von Eisenstein in a heated argument with his lawyer, Dr. Blind.

“Die Fledermaus” is double casted; two separate casts will take turns putting on the production. Every performance will be infused with the interpretations and spirit of its performers. Each night, audiences will enjoy the unique cumulative effort of a talented cast. “When we’re on stage, we’re characters,” Salvidar explains. “But we are also ourselves, just a little bit bigger and a little bit brighter.” McConnell auditorium will open its doors on opening night to show audiences the aforementioned big and bright. Performances will be held on April 11-13 at 7 p.m., followed by a closing performance on April 14 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $12 for students with ID, $20 for general admission and $17 for seniors and alumni.

A heartbroken Rosalinde von Eisenstein (played by Moira Mcgregor) with her husband Gabriel von Eisenstein. (Brandon Mattesich)