Grad Kick-Off

Photo spread by Yohanes Goodell and Beau Sansom

Elementary Education Majors Maddy Taylor (left) and Olivia Ingram (right) after leaving the grad kickoff. Photo by Beau Sansom

Yohanes Goodell and Beau Sansom

With spring quarter at CWU nearly halfway over and commencement in June fast approaching, CWU ran the grad kick-off event from April 11 – 12, where students were able to acquire everything they need for commencement and graduation. 

What was your favorite memory from CWU?

• “Getting to know all my fellow students… it’s really awesome getting to have that community with those people,” said Kian Abdlakhani, studying accounting.
  • “I really liked the rugby games, I think they’re really fun, I like that we’re D-1, it’s fun playing the big schools,” said Maddy Taylor, studying elementary education.
  • “Being part of the dance company and performing,” said Olivia Ingram, studying elementary education. 
  • “Doing fifth grade camp with the elementary education program for the elementary schools was pretty fun,”said  Holly Keenan, studying elementary education.
  • “[My favorite part of] living in the dorms freshman year… living by all your friends,” said Gillian Woods, studying professional piloting.
  • “The first time coming into campus… the feel of the welcome of this university, the instructors, everybody,” said Manny Valencia, studying accounting.

What are your plans after graduating?

• “I got a job at a CPA [Certified Public Accountant] firm in Wenatchee so I’m moving over there,” said Katelyn Kammers, studying accounting.
  • “I’m student-teaching here in the fall.” Maddy Taylor, studying elementary education
  • “I’m [taking] a [trip to Ireland] to teach in August and then I’m student teaching,” said Olivia Ingram, studying elementary education.
  • “I student-teach in the fall, but I’m staying for another year here to sub here in Ellensburg,” said Holly Keenan, studying elementary education.
  • “I plan on getting my multi-engine rating during the summer and then I’m going to do some survey pilot work so I’ll probably end up moving more towards the south because that’s where they do that,” said Gillian Woods, studying professional piloting.
  • “I am going to pursue my masters in accounting,” said Manny Valencia, studying accounting.

What will you miss the most about CWU?

• “People, also I can walk everywhere and I love that,” said Katelyn Kammers, studying accounting.
  • “My fellow classmates and just the small town feel of Ellensburg,” said Kian Abdlakhani, studying accounting.
  • “The community, always running into people I know and meeting new people my age,” said Olivia Ingram, studying elementary education.
  • “Living by all my friends, once we graduate everyone’s moving to different places so it’ll be a bit harder to see them,” said Holly Keenan, studying elementary education.
  • “The thing I’ll miss most are the friendships I’ve created here with the amazing staff and students that I’ve become really close to,” said  Manny Valencia, studying accounting.

If you could give any advice to incoming freshmen, what would it be?

• “Put yourself out there because you never know what’ll happen,” said Kian Abdlakhani, studying accounting.
  • “Actually go to events that are on campus, they end up being a lot more fun than you think,” said Katelyn Kammers, studying accounting.
  • “Go to the free events, because they’re fun,” said Maddy Taylor, studying elementary education.
  • “Take any opportunities that you can get, do as many clubs as you can without overdoing it. Be as involved as possible because it’s the only chance you’ll get,” said Olivia Ingram, studying elementary education.
  • “Turning in something is better than not turning it in at all, some points are better than no points,” said  Holly Keenan, studying elementary education.
  • “It’s okay to not know what you want to do, truly believe in yourself, truly believe that no matter what is put in front of you you’re going to overcome it,” said Manny Valencia, studying accounting.
    • Professional Pilot Major Gillian Woods ready to fly off after the event. Photo by Beau Sansom

• Katelyn Kammers (left) and Kian Abdlakhani (right) posing with a bag Katelyn won in the raffle. Photo by Beau Sansom

• Holly Keenan is all smiles heading into student-teaching after the grad kickoff. Photo by Beau Sansom

• First generation college graduate Manny Valencia puts on a smile after grad kickoff. Photo by Beau Sansom