Generational interests: self care as a 20-year-old college student

Madison working on knitting a scarf. Photo by Annie Gatlin

Madison VanRavenhorst, Columnist

Knitting, crocheting, brisk walks and hanging out with my cats are my favorite pastimes for when I’m stressed about an assignment, trying to fall asleep or listening to a virtual lecture. 

“Self-care” is something I discounted and thought was a silly trend on social media. My middle school self used bath bombs and face masks because that’s what people on my snapchat were doing. Beyond that, I didn’t think twice about taking care of myself in that way. 

Now, I spend every night surrounded by activities that bring me joy and fill my soul. I’ve actually found the most happiness and calm in so-called “old lady” hobbies. Getting off of technology and focusing on the movement of my knitting needles or crochet hooks gives my brain a break from the constant barrage of information and distractions. 

In my humble, not at all expert opinion, hobbies most commonly enjoyed by older generations are the best form of self care. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely still do college things. I completely enjoy watching TV shows, playing Nintendo Switch games and going to parties with my friends.

Photo by Annie Gatlin

I’m not at all suggesting that you should abandon all the things you enjoy to knit, golf or play chess. What I will happily encourage is taking a break and “unplugging” from the internet and technology. But if not, that’s okay, I could never have taken my own advice even a couple years ago. 

Besides, I consistently run into the fact that old school hobbies are HARD! Learning to knit and crochet has been a beast. Luckily, walks are pretty self explanatory, but I’ve had to pick up a lot of new skills on this journey. 

My dad raised me playing cribbage and chess every Sunday, so maybe that’s where this all comes from. Even in spite of that, I still found it a little embarrassing when I got started. I didn’t want people to think I was boring for preferring a night in bed with my cat and some knitting needles. 

Now, when a week goes by that I didn’t get to spend a night working on a sweater or taking a long walk (or even building a lego set), I feel exhausted and burnt out. I know my way isn’t right for everyone, but I do have to wonder if maybe past generations had it right. 

I never feel better than when I’ve had my dedicated time to be alone and focused on something that isn’t hardwired to distract me and keep my brain constantly running. It just so happens that the activities that allow me to disconnect are more commonly associated with the generations that came before me.