ESC spring night market introduces students to traditional foods

Zileni Milupi and Yohanes Goodell

The Equity and Services Council held the Spring Night Market in the SURC corridor on April 6, from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. The event was a way for different clubs and organizations to fundraise by selling cultural foods. Participating clubs included the Filipino American Student Association, African Student Association, the Black Student Union, the Japanese Student Association and more. Other organizations such as the EQUAL club, the First Generation Student Organization and the Asia University America Program were there as well to promote themselves to students.   

Student Reactions

“I love getting to know people, interact and trying new foods that they’re selling,” Franchesca Silva, a senior in nutrition food science and public health. 

“I think the event is really cool. There’s a lot of different clubs and different groups. I like the community building, it’s friendly and open. Every stand I’ve been to they’ve all been really nice,” Aiden Collins, a junior in law and justice. 

“This is actually my first university event that I’m attending, so it’s a kind of good experience that makes me want to come to more events,” Jonathan Barrios, a freshman in secondary math education.

“I think this event turned out a lot bigger than I expected for sure. I’ve seen a lot of people having fun.” Jessica B
/erkey, first year, physics. 

“I think it’s a lot of fun. It’s a lot more exciting than I thought it was going to be,” Aj Ingberman, a senior in communication.  

“It’s very engaging, there’s a lot of students checking it out. So it’s really nice to have people come in and buy food, even if you don’t buy food it’s just a very nice event.” April Yaves, a fourth year in event management.