Central Washington Fire Training Academy opens doors for prospective firefighters

Photo of Kittitas Valley Fire & Rescue photo by Anna Fridell

Anna Fridell, Staff Reporter

A new opportunity for incoming firefighting trainees has become available through Kittitas Valley Fire and Yakima Fire Department. The two organizations combined their spaces and trainings with the creation of Central Washington Fire Training Academy, which was opened in January. 

The new program offers a resource to incoming trainees that prefer to stay local, while also getting the same training they would elsewhere for less of a cost compared to the Washington State Fire Academy in North Bend, Washington. 

“[It’s] roughly half of what it costs to go to North Bend,” Kittitas Valley Deputy Fire Chief Rich Elliot said.

A typical day training in the Central Washington Fire Academy may consist of classroom courses directed to get the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress certification, as well as live-fire training held in controlled areas in Yakima, according to Yakima Fire Department Deputy Fire Chief DJ Goldsmith. According to Goldsmith, the classroom training courses are held at the Yakima Fire Department.

“The training is going very well,” Goldsmith said.

Only positive feedback has been received from instructors of the academy, including Goldsmith and Elliot.

“My training officers are very happy with it. Our recruits are doing really well. They’re getting a very high-quality structural fire academy, it’s something that we’ll likely repeat.” Goldsmith said.

This academy offers  incoming trainees an opportunity to study and practice firefighting as a career, where the opportunity may not have been presented otherwise due to factors such as cost and location. 

The Fire Training Academy held in North Bend, Washington State Fire Academy, has been shown to have limited spots, according to East Pierce firefighter and CWU EMT/Paramedicine professor Colin Nash.

“There isn’t enough room for fire academies to host everyone who wants to go,” Nash said. “New academies or more spots benefit everyone.” 

Though firefighting may be seen as a volunteer-heavy profession, the increased cost of living and increased certifications have prevented aspiring firefighters from finding the time or ability to volunteer, according to Nash. 

Nash said there is a  need for more firefighters, because local fire departments are often already on another call when new calls come in. 

The reactions from trainers in the academy, as well as feedback from the trainees, has reflected that the academy has been beneficial to the community, according to  both Nash and Goldsmith. 

“We have nothing but positive feedback from everybody,” Goldsmith said. “It’s awesome watching them grow together as recruits.”

The academy has wasted no time in getting the trainees ready for a career in the firefighting industry, according to Goldsmith. 

“Day one of the academy, we hit the ground running,” Goldsmith said.

A typical day training in the Central Washington Fire Academy may consist of classroom courses directed to get the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress certification, as well as live-fire training held in controlled areas in Yakima. 

“I look for attitude, I look for work ethic, and I look for the ability to make decisions, and probably in that order,” Elliott said. 

To be a firefighter requires maximum effort and tactical decision making, according to Elliott.

“This is a job where you have to do your best all the time.”

Making decisions in a quick manner is  essential to being a firefighter, and the academy strives to train their recruits to prepare in the right ways. 

“People within our agency in Kittitas are coming up to us talking about what a great job, and how awesome it is to see these kids grow and just become firefighters,” Goldsmith said.