CWU student passed away in residence hall

Gabriel+Gabe+Jungmann%2C+sophomore+in+film+and+communication%2C+passed+away+in+his+dorm+the+morning+of+Jan.+17.+Photo+courtesy+of+CWU+News.+

Gabriel “Gabe” Jungmann, sophomore in film and communication, passed away in his dorm the morning of Jan. 17. Photo courtesy of CWU News.

Morgana Carroll, News Editor

CWU student Gabriel Jungmann passed away in a residence hall on Jan. 17 according to an email sent by CWU President Jim Wohlpart on Jan. 18 and subsequent CWU News update on Jan. 26.

According to his obituary on DignityMemorial.com, Gabriel Jungmann was a sophomore studying communication and film at CWU. The obituary said Jungmann “died from unknown causes the morning of January 17 in his dorm room.”

The obituary continued: “Gabriel was born May 20, 2002, in Everett, the youngest child of Conrad and Jennifer Jungmann … He loved hiking in the mountains, river rafting, playing video games with friends, taking road trips with his father, gardening with his mother, and cracking jokes with his brother and sister. Always quick with a quip, Gabe touched everyone he knew with his dry humor, broad intelligence, and sincere caring for other people.”

On Jan. 24, Chief of Staff Andrew Morse released a statement to The Observer:

“CWU has no additional details regarding the student’s death at this time. We are deferring to the medical examiner’s evaluation and will continue respecting the wishes of the student’s family regarding further communication about their life and the positive impact they had on their peers, community and all who knew them.”

According to Wohlpart’s Jan. 26 release, “While the Kittitas County Medical Examiner’s Office has not yet determined Gabe’s cause of death, we continue to work with the Jungmanns on how to best communicate the details of their tragic loss with the CWU community.”

Wohlpart urged community members who need support to utilize Student Counseling Services by calling (509) 963-1391. He said that employees who need support can contact the Employee Assistance Program at (800) 777-4114. 

Jungmann’s funeral service will be held on Saturday, Jan. 28 at 3 p.m. at Northlake Christian Church (19029 North Road. Bothell, WA. 98012) with a reception immediately after.

Condolences may be shared at www.floralhillslynnwood.com for the Jungmann family.

The Observer will keep you up to date with any changes. 

Story updated with additional details.