Art majors are worth it

Photo courtesy of Pexels

Zaire Eltayeb, Staff Reporter

It is no secret that STEM majors are often pushed in society and art-based majors are looked down upon. Unfortunately, in high school and college people advise against art-based majors due to the myth about the hardships of finding a job or being taken seriously in society. 

When I say art-based majors, I am referring to: art history, museum studies of any kinds, music majors or even creative writing majors. 

I will not ignore the fact that these fields typically include a lot of networking to get into them. However, it is not as illusive and impossible as society makes them out to be. 

I will be using the example of one of the most talked down upon majors; art history. 

This degree offers a lot of possibilities and routes for those pursuing the major and career path. 

According to bestcolleges.com, you can become an art director, industrial designer, graphic designer, craft and fine artist, multimedia artist and an animator – to list a few. 

The options are endless with art-based degrees, sometimes people even form their own niche career with their degree. 

Aside from the talk of a career, many students have spoken out about the mental strain and lifelong damage it does to them to have their dreams ripped from them before even getting the chance to pursue it. 

Kaylie Thompson details her battles with fighting negative stigmas attached to her dreams of pursing psychology and journalism in an article written for odyssey.com

If I thought I was tired of hearing I was not going to get a job with a Ph.D. in psychology, I had no idea what was coming. As soon as I told people about the change of plans, the first reaction I received was ‘That is a really competitive field, so I am not sure that is a good idea.’ Honestly, what is not a competitive field these days?” 

Her statement resonates with a lot of students experiencing those same negative comments towards their degree. As society progresses, I hope these stigmas eventually die down and people choose the path that they want without the years of contemplation from unqualified outside voices.