Sarah Beauchamp looks forward to new position on Ellensburg City Council

Beauchamp hopes to help multiple aspects of the Ellensburg community. Photo courtesy of Sarah Beauchamp

Zaire Eltayeb, Staff Reporter

Sarah Beauchamp was recently voted into the Ellensburg City Council and said she is excited to fulfill her new role. Beauchamp discussed how she is going to help the community and what her focus will be in her new position.

“I’m hoping to work through city council connections with CWU’s Provost and President” Beauchamp said. 

Beauchamp said she is looking forward to making Ellensburg more inviting in the downtown area to all demographics. 

“There’s got to be things that involve everyone in the area, from our moms with toddlers at home to our senior population,” Beauchamp said. 

Beauchamp said she wants to highlight and decrease social limitations within downtown Ellensburg. 

“There’s not much to do if you’re not 21 or want to spend money shopping,” Beauchamp said. 

Beauchamp said the learning curve is a process just like most things. According to Beauchamp, she also looks forward to policy change.  

“I’ve been there a couple weeks, and I’ve only had one meeting,” Beauchamp said. ”It was an eye opener and I have a lot to learn.” 

Beauchamp said affordable housing is an issue she is eager to be more involved with.

“Affordable housing, rent has skyrocketed and not only can our students not afford it but our young families can’t afford it either,” Beauchamp said. 

Another improvement Beauchamp said she hopes for is inclusivity.

“Equality and inclusion, that’s a very big one for me,” Beauchamp said. “We’ve made great steps as a community towards that, but we have a lot of work to do there. I hope between my small business, being on the board of Affordable Housing Commission, and on city council, that engagement I have in the community can open up some eyes and let people know about it.” 

Beauchamp said she is an advocate for the growth and improvement of Ellensburg and said she is open to learn with her other council members. 

“The staff has been amazing,” Beauchamp said. “I’m excited to dive in and be a part of the change that’s happening.”

David Miller, another council member, also spoke about his excitement to have Beauchamp on the council. 

“Sarah is a great addition,” Miller said. “She has great community ties and with her background and community work over the years.” 

With the new year approaching, Beauchamp said she is excited to fully embrace the new role as city council member and all that comes with it.