Wildfest brings local artists and CWU students together

Joshua Kornfeld, Staff Reporter

Students lined up to receive their wristbands, play on inflatable toys and listen to live music for Wildfest 2022, featuring headlining bands Dedelectric and Cobrahawk. 

Throughout the evening, seven live acts performed including Jump The Valley, Tinted Red and Commongirl. The event also included an inflatable obstacle course and boxing ring, a bouncy house, cornhole, Jenga and a photobooth. 

CWU eats provided students with free BBQ, Winegar’s Ice cream, Monster and Coca Cola products. 88.1 The ‘Burg had a tent and provided music at the Wildfest afterparty held in the SURC Ballroom.  

Shanley Olson, a freshman majoring in chemistry, said, “This is a lot of people. I like the setup they have going on, the lights look really cool.” 

Olson said she liked that the event was on a Thursday and started in the afternoon, so students had the whole evening to listen to music. 

Deacon Tuttle, a junior in media and journalism, said he heard about Wildfest from a friend. 

“I didn’t know about Wildfest until last night,” Tuttle said. “Even a couple hours ago, I had no idea what I was in for. Let’s experience campus life, hang out with my best friends and get some free food.” 

Tuttle said he liked the variety of activities and music and described it as “keeping it fresh.”

“It’s pretty cool to have more activity now than in the last few months and we can put on big events like this, and everyone feels comfortable gathering and enjoying the space,” Tuttle said.

Daymon Fritz, the lead singer and rhythm guitarist for Seattle-based progressive/alternative rock band Dedelectric, said he likes others to listen to their music and decide for themselves what genre their music fits. 

Fritz said the name of the band came from jamming on an unplugged electric guitar in his garage as a suggestion from his brother. Fritz said he is looking forward to performing again and described the thrill of being in front of a crowd as “just unbearable.”

“It’s nice to be able to come back and play Wildfest,” Fritz said. “We played in 2019 with Hobo Johnson and the LoveMakers. It was such a fun show, with really good energy. It’s really nice to be amongst the Wildcats again.” 

“We really want to build an experience that you emotionally connect with, and walk away thinking about,” Fritz said. “Maybe being a little bit curious and maybe wanting a little bit more.” 

Fritz said he hopes fans are curious and connect with Dedelectric on a deeper emotional level. 

“Don’t take yourself too seriously, don’t take Dedelectric too seriously. We’re out here to have fun,” Fritz said. 

Many students expressed excitement about going outside for a party with fellow classmates.

“I’m glad to see a lot of students getting out and enjoying something besides class,” Eva Sten, a freshman in environmental studies, said.

Edgar Espino, senior political science major, said his favorite act was Commongirl and liked the variety of acts throughout the evening catering to different preferences. 

“Students get a chance to actually mingle with people that you go to school with, and a great opportunity to go and do something fun on campus,” Espino said.