Marijuana should not be allowed on campus

Courtesy of Pexels.com

Libby Williams, Columnist

While I believe people have the right to use marijuana recreationally on their own property, I do agree with the school’s policy to keep it off campus.

While recreational use of marijuana is legal in Washington, like most colleges, CWU does prohibit any possession of cannabis on campus. According to the school’s alcohol and drug policies, “Central Washington University is required to adhere to all regulations set forth by the Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act. Annual distribution of drug-free campus and workplace information to students and employees is required by federal law.”

Firstly, some people simply don’t want to be exposed to marijuana smoke. The smell and potential secondhand effects are things I’ve heard peers be vocally upset with. 

Furthermore, this rule is fairly commonplace; most jobs won’t let you come in under the influence of marijuana or alcohol. I think school falls under that same category, especially higher education.

Something I do think should be discussed is allowing medical marijuana on campuses. According to Harvard Health, the most common use for medical marijuana in the U.S. is pain control. 

The site says, “It is quite effective for the chronic pain that plagues millions of Americans, especially as they age. Part of its allure is that it is clearly safer than opiates.” 

It can also be a substitute for Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) for people with kidney issues or ulcers. Based on this site, medical marijuana use is more common in older adults. It also needs to be approved and planned by a doctor. If a student could provide proof of need, I see no reason why they shouldn’t be allowed to use marijuana medically on campus. 

I also believe there is a lot of stigma surrounding marijuana use. I think the university reserves the right to prohibit drug and alcohol use on campus, but what people do responsibly in their own time is their own prerogative.

This story has been edited for clarification. We have corrected that CWU does prohibit any possession of cannabis on campus.