You’re listening to 88.1 the ‘Burg

• Exterior of 88.1 the ‘Burg

• Live music 88.1 the ‘Burg

Joshua Kornfeld, Staff Reporter

With many streaming services available, students are flooded with options when it comes to what music they listen to, when and where. Students can listen to several programs on 88.1 the ‘Burg Monday through Friday, including News Central and the Five at Five among others. 

These programs provide a breakdown of daily news and a poll with five items of a certain category such as favorite fast foods, conducted via social media. These segments can be viewed on their website alongside their radio broadcasts. 

Gracen Bayer, a sophomore in film production, works as a social media manager for 88.1 the ‘Burg. Bayer estimates that the majority of 88.1 the ‘Burg listeners are tuning in from their cars. 

According to Bayer, the key demographic for 88.1 the ‘Burg is between 18 to 24-year-old college students. In the past they were more of a top 40 station, but now aim for a larger variety due to changing consumer demand and a new program director. 

Kody Phoxay is a senior marketing major, and the student program director at 88.1 the ‘Burg. 

“I’m kind of in charge of on-air content, talent checking, giving time slots and telling them where to go,” Phoxay said. “Making sure everything sounds smooth on the air. I also have the music scheduler side where I listen to music, and then schedule the music.” 

Phoxay said he picks the music by the time of day. The 5-11 a.m. time slot is more top 40 with some throwbacks and slower songs. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. is still top 40 with more hip hop and country. In the evening they play more R&B, hip hop and rap. This is typically when the majority of college kids will be listening. 

In terms of complaints, Phoxay said their primary complaint is people don’t want to hear the same songs over and over again. His theory behind the current complaints would be that people tune in at the same time within the cycle and likely hear the same song. 

“We have a clock called the wide orbit clock that runs on a 24 hour basis. I got to keep an eye on the clock, to not schedule the same song every time,” Phoxay said.

Daizie Jones, a junior business administration major, said she listens to a wide variety of music. Every time she’s in her car driving around, she said her favorite radio station is 88.1 the ‘Burg.

“Any alternative stuff on the radio is good, except when it’s overplayed,” Jones said when asked about her favorite type of music. “I like old school stuff, as well. I’m really into everything, anything anybody wants to send me I’ll listen to.” 

Jones discussed her favorite segment of 88.1 the ‘Burg. 

“I love what they have in the mornings and Lunchtime Rewind,” Jones said. 

For the overall demographic of the radio, Phoxay estimated that most people are interested in the station’s additional content beyond just the music that they can’t find anywhere else. Phoxay envisions that the future of radio will be centered around content such as radio shows.