Music faculty member targeted by prejudice Ongoing investigation seeks answers

Katherine Camarata, Senior Reporter

Racist, homophobic and sexually explicit materials were distributed to music faculty and student areas of McIntyre Hall over winter break, according to an email sent out to the music department on Jan. 5. 

CWU Police, Human Resources, the Provost Office, the Dean’s Office and the Music Department are all involved in a formal investigation to discover who committed this violation. 

The materials were “A horrific attempt to target and slander a CWU faculty member,” according to the email sent on Jan. 5.

The email continues on by saying the incident occurred shortly before a music faculty retreat announcing efforts to create “safe spaces for women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, and all students, faculty and staff.”

According to the email, “Acts that create unsafe spaces for students, faculty and staff at CWU will not go unchallenged.”

Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities Dr. Jill Hernandez released a statement to The Observer: “The CWU Music Department is leading the way in building a strong community that reflects our shared value of prizing and protecting our extraordinary diversity. Our collective efforts to foster civility and inclusivity will not be undermined by those who seek to sow discord. 

“We continue to stand together and take concrete steps towards delivering on the promises of our shared values for women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, and all students, faculty, and staff within the College of Arts and Humanities.”

CWU is asking anyone who has information regarding this incident to contact Director of Police and Public Safety Jason Berthon-Koch at 509.963.2959.