ASCWU addresses vandalism at Brooks Library and sneak peek at the Health Science building

Stephen Martin, Staff Reporter

The ASCWU met in the SURC pit on Monday to discuss prior and upcoming student events.Director of Student Life and Facilities Alejandra Cruz-Martinez spoke about the board having the opportunity to tour the new Health Science building scheduled to open in 2022.

“So far that building is looking really really nice,” Martinez said. “I’m really excited for students who are majoring in food science, exercise science to finally be utilizing that building. It looked phenomenal.”

Director of Equity and Multicultural Affairs Mariah Minjarez spoke about the recent vandalism in Brooks Library and stated that the executive board condemns the act. 

“We’re standing in solidarity with the LGBTQIA+ community,” Minjarez said. “We in no way shape or form condone or accept this type of behavior, and just want to release a statement to show support for that community.”

A full statement about the incident can be found on their Instagram @ascwu_sg. Minjarez then promoted the LGBTQ teach-in that will be held on Nov. 8 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Brooks Library, which is an event created in response to the vandalism.

Martinez also mentioned that this year’s Wellington’s Wildfire surpassed the attendance of the years prior.

“Wellington’s wildfire on October 21st had the biggest attendance in the last few years,” Martinez said. “We have an estimate that over 500 students came and attended the event. We did a spectacular performance so a huge thank you to all the students who attended and to all of our partners that made the event possible.”

Meetings are held every other Monday at 1:30 p.m. in the SURC pit.