Women’s Volleyball loses to two Alaska teams

• Freshman Hannah Stries #13 huddles with Sophmore Ashley Kaufman #19

Leah Shepherd, Staff Reporter

Over the weekend CWU women’s volleyball went to Alaska and lost two games, one  against Alaska Fairbanks University three sets to one and one against Alaska Anchorage University three sets to two.  

Head coach Mario Andaya, who has coached the team for 26 years said it was a little odd for the returning girls to have seven new teammates who had not played at the college level yet, but feels that they are acclimating well to the competition. 

Freshman libero Hannah Stires said after the first game against Alaska Anchorage the team fought all the way until the very end and encouraged fans to come and support the team when they play both teams again at home on Nov. 4 and Nov.6.  .

“(We) fought till the end,” Stires said. “(We) are ready for them to come to us.Having the fans back, (being) so loud! (and) bringing the energy.” 

In their first game of the weekend the team started off dropping the first set 25-16. They bounced back with back to back set wins by scores of 25-22 and 25-21. However, Alaska Anchorage took the final two sets 25-15 and 15-10 respectfully. 

In their second game against Alaska Fairbanks University, they held their own by having close sets every time but lost the first set 25-17. They bounced back with a 25-23 set win to tie it up at one to one.  While both sides were able to get point after point against each other, CWU was unable to get a good rhythm in the final two sets which they ended up losing 25-21 and 25-22. 

Though the women’s team lost the second game against Alaska Fairbanks University they still stayed positive about the trip as a whole. 

“(We had) small(er) things, locker rooms, time getting ready together, long bus rides and dinners,” said Stires.

For the future Andaya said the goals he has for the team this season starts with the athletes being able to grow individually and as a team and getting better everyday, especially with the new girls on the team. 

The Wildcats return home to take on Western Oregon University Thursday Oct. 14 and Saint Martin’s University Oct.16 at Nicholson Pavilion.