Opinion: I’m thirty, I’m not dead

Stop calling millennials an older generation

Old woman waiting for the parade at the Bonfires of Saint John

José Antonio Morcillo Valenciano Courtesy of Flickr.com

Addie Adkins, Copy Desk Chief

There was a recent TikTok video I saw that cut me to my core. In a video posted by @jzez21, the creator reacts to a sound clip of someone saying, “To the older generation on TikTok, meaning, like, people born in the late 90’s.”

I was born in 1990, so I’m sure you could imagine the shock I experienced when I heard this. If late 90’s is old, that must make me antique, and I just want to point out the audacity.

So, my joints hurt for days if I sleep wrong. That doesn’t make me old. I just have bad joints.

I might need a nap in the middle of the day, but so does my three-year-old. And honestly, I wish my 11-year-old would take one too.

I may say things like “I’m getting too old for this,” but I don’t actually mean it.

I might walk into a room and have to retrace my steps, because “what did I come in here for?” But I’ve always been like that, that’s not a new thing.

My music, the good music, plays on a radio station that may have once played “top hits from the 80’s, 90’s and today.” Y2K was ten years ago, right?

It’s not like I go around saying things like “that’s whack,” or “cool beans.” I’m up to date on the slang terms. I think.

I don’t take 10 prescription medications. Yet. I only have five, thank you very much.

I could probably, maybe, drink a 21-year-old under the table. I’d seriously regret it for the next three days, but I could do it.

I might be repeating my 30th birthday this year, but that’s only because the world decided to shut down and I want to go get day-drunk with my besties at the annual downtown fall wine walk wearing a tiara and a badge of honor that says “dirty thirty” on it.

I don’t have to get eight hours of sleep in order to function properly the next day. Okay, that one’s a bald face lie, but who has time to get eight hours of sleep?

So, I have to worry about missing a day of my skincare routine. I might have little patience for nonsensical situations. I might fall asleep watching TV or reading a book.

But, I’m too young to run for presidency. I would still be a resident if I had gone to medical school straight out of high school like I had planned.

I’ve still got two-thirds of my life to live. I won’t be able to retire for another 35 years.

I’m not part of an older generation. The younger generation just hasn’t lived long enough to realize that yet.

Well, shit. I might be old.