Wildcat defense dominates as they beat #11 Midwestern State

Andrew Prouse, Staff Reporter

CWU Football turned in a 30-20 win, dealing #11 Midwestern State their first loss of the season. After a 14-9 loss to Angelo State Sept. 25th, the Wildcats looked for a bounce back win.

Midwestern State started the game with an 11 play drive, but the Wildcat defense held them to a field goal. The Wildcats responded with a deep touchdown pass from redshirt freshman Quincy Glasper to redshirt sophomore Darius Morrison for 65 yards. 

CWU and MSU traded scores and MSU held a 17-14 lead at the half. Freshman safety Tanner Volk intercepted the ball at the CWU five yard line at the end of the half to keep the score where it was.   

After halftime, the CWU defense forced four turnovers.

Late in the game it became a defensive struggle on both sides and CWU holding on to a 27-20 lead, Wildcats kicker Patrick Hegarty came up clutch. With 2:21 left in the game, Hegarty drilled a 50 yard field goal to increase the Wildcats lead to 10. 

Senior Linebacker Donte Hamilton had nine tackles, one tackle for loss, one QB hit and three interceptions. 

In total the Wildcats forced six turnovers in a major upset versus an 11th ranked opponent. The defense was the driving force behind the win, but the offense did a great job as well. Glasper threw for 245 yards and two touchdowns, adding 61 yards rushing and one rushing touchdown. Glasper achieved all of this in his first career college start.

Head coach Christopher Fisk posted on CWU’s Football Twitter and had this to say about his team’s performance. 

“I thought we were the more physical team tonight,” Fisk said. “We are barely scratching the surface of what we can do.”

Glasper and Hamilton posted on  CWU’s Football Twitter stating they were both excited after the win. 

“This whole week I just felt like they guys were really locked in,” said Glasper. 

“We proved that we are one of the best teams in the nation,” Hamilton added. 

The Wildcats (3-2 1-0 Great Northwest Athletic Conference) will head over to Monmouth, Oregon next week to take on the Western Oregon Wolves (2-3 1-0 GNAC).