Why ‘Big Hero 6’ is an underrated movie

Star Diavolikis, Columnist

“Big Hero 6” has been tossed aside due to “Frozen’s” signature songs, when it deserved more respect. This movie touched on many subjects in ways children can understand, such as depression and death, while containing no pressure on a romantic storyline and promoting the STEM field.

Discussing depression

Spoiler alert, Hiro’s brother Tadashi dies within a few minutes of the movie starting. Once Tadashi dies, Hiro goes into a depression. The movie depicts Hiro attending the funeral and his mourning process. Days passed, and plates full of food were shown being left on his windowsill and him lifelessly looking out the window.

Hiro doesn’t go to school and doesn’t open any letters or messages. These are real depictions of what depression and mourning can be like, pictured in a digestible way that children can understand. It is difficult for children’s shows and movies to do this, and Big Hero 6 depicted it perfectly. Early exposure to this can help children understand that it is okay to feel this way, as they genuinely cannot help having depression.

Discussing death

Tadashi died in a building fire trying to save somebody. Many children’s movies only imply that somebody died, however Big Hero 6 showed the building exploding which confirmed he died.

Addressing death like this may seem harsh, but introducing death in an easy way for children to understand is a good move in case they happen to have a family member pass away.

No focus on romance

When I hear Disney or children’s movies in general, I think of a prince saving a princess. They fall in love and live happily ever after.

This movie doesn’t focus on that. The movie ends with Hiro fighting evil alongside his friends and keeping his late brother Tadashi in his heart. That’s it. No kisses, no marriage, nothing. Not even for Aunt Cass. This opens the idea to children that you don’t always need to focus on romance. You can be successful and make a change without it being for a romantic partner. You can have friends and don’t need to make it romantic.

Promoting the STEM field

Hiro graduated high school before 18. His late brother Tadashi was attending an institution revolving around creative STEM productions. When at this institution, the movie shows the many creations these characters made using science and other technological concepts.

Tadashi worked on developing Baymax, a healthcare nurse robot. GoGo worked on an innovative, electromagnetic-axel motorcycle. Honey Lemon worked on the idea of chemical metal embrittlement. Wasabi worked on laser induced plasma with magnetic concepts for precision. And Fred was, well, Fred. He just hung out.

Showing these amazing creations in these labs presented children with the idea of just how many cool things you can make with science.