ASCWU election results announced; final round of debates held

Jackie Tran, Staff Reporter

Several student leaders gathered on Zoom for the second ASCWU virtual de- bate on April 21, all putting their best foot forward as they presented their promises to improve the school. Voting opened April 23 and concluded April 27.

The student body positions all work to improve the school through communication between the students and faculty and in representing students in legislative matters.  This year there was one candidate each for president, executive vice president, senate speaker, and director of Governmental Affairs.  The positions for both director of Student Life and Facilities and director of Equity and Multicultural Affairs had two candidates each.

Following a set format, each candidate had a minute to introduce themselves before being presented with the debate questions.  Opposing candidates were allowed a rebuttal in response to their opponent if they so wished.  The debate wrapped up a little after an hour.

Asking a variety of prepared questions and those that were submitted by the audience, Dean Gregg Heinselman gave each candidate a chance to speak starting with the candidate for president.

Madeline Koval, a Douglass Honors College member, stressed the importance of sitting down and having honest conversations with each other when asked how she would represent different ideals than hers.  Candidates for the director of Equity and Multicultural Affairs, Paige Hall and Mariah Minjarez, shared a similar opinion on open communication when asked about how they would work with both students and the new access and equity administrators.  

The concerns of COVID-19 and how events next year would be regulated were a common topic, leading to Heinselman asking the question, “How do you plan to adapt large-scale campus life events to COVID-19 restrictions?”  The candidates for director of Student Life and Facilities both offered their solutions.  

Syafiq M. Suhaimi opted for specific and detailed planning paired with educating students and providing aid wherever possible in the form of masks, hand sanitizer and markings for spacing among other things.  

Alejandra Cruz-Martinez agreed that COVID-19 protocol was important to plan for and saluted students for bearing with all the extra precautions the school has put in place for everyone’s safety.

The candidates as a whole encourage students to attend events and discussions to be a part of the campus community.  Hoping to involve students more, the candidate for senate speaker, Rachael Medalia, said she would like to do more social media promotion and tabling events to interact with the students and increase communication and involvement.  

In a similar pattern, Edgar Espino, candidate for director of Governmental Affairs, expressed his plan of encouraging students to engage in voting and lobbying as well as participating in groups like SLAP.

In all pursuits, executive vice president candidate, Geoffrey Odoch, advocates for being held accountable, going as far as possible and equity across campus.

Candidates brought strong cases to the debate this year, with student wellness at the forefront of their goals.  You can watch the debate recording on the associated students site.