Pints for Primates: Drink beer and support local chimpanzee sanctuary

Jamie Wyatt, Staff Reporter

Don’t miss the opportunity to drink beer for a cause at “Pints for Primates” at Dru Bru. You can kick back, support the local community, drink beer, buy a pint glass, bid on auction items and feel good about supporting primates and women at the same time.

The Primate Awareness Network (PAN) club is hosting a second fundraiser for Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest (CSNW) on May 1. From April 26-May 1, PAN will be setting up an information table and auction to be held at Dru Bru at 1015 East 2nd Street in Cle Elum. 

PAN representatives will be hosting the auction right up until the event on May 1, in which $1 for every pint sold will be donated to CSNW for the care of the chimpanzees. In addition to auction items, a commemorative limited edition glass featuring the club’s name, CSNW’s name and a logo of a chimpanzee on patrol will be available for purchase throughout the event. 

According to Jenna Skinner, a PAN member and graduate student in the Primate Behavior and Ecology program, the logo featured on the limited edition glass is a nod to the chimpanzees cared for at the sanctuary.

“Chimpanzees do [patrols] every day in the wild and they also do that everyday at the sanctuary,” Skinner said. “They kind of take a stroll around their area, which is like walking around the exterior.”

The venue was suggested by Diana Goodrich, co-director of CSNW, for a specific reason: they have a beer called Alpha Female. At CSNW, there is a female leader of the chimpanzees, known as an alpha female, and the label supports women. 

The auction part of the fundraiser will be open all week, in person at Dru Bru.

The silent auction opens April 26 and will close May 1. Items include art canvases, custom art merchandise from PAN’s coinciding fundraiser with Gallery One also running through May 1. To learn more about CWU’s PAN club, visit https://www.facebook.com/PrimateAwarenessNetwork/  

To learn more about CSNW, visit https://chimpsnw.org/