CWU offers on-campus vaccination clinics

Libby Williams, Staff Reporter

Two hundred and sixty-five doses of the Moderna vaccine were administered to eligible students, faculty and staff on April 13. This was the first vaccine clinic offered on campus, and more dates have already been announced in the coming weeks. 

“We want to see as many people as possible get vaccinated so our campus and our community can return to normal activities by this fall,” President James L. Gaudino said in a press release on April 14. “We were able to get to this point with the help of our community partners – KCPHD, KVH, and our local police and fire departments – and we look forward to working with them even more as we plan for a safe return in September.”

David Dick

The clinic originally planned to administer the single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine, but after federal health officials called for a pause in the use of J&J on the morning of the clinic, a quick switch to Moderna was made. 

“That change was impressive,” Kasey Knutson said. Knutson is the special programs coordinator at the KCPHD, as well as the public information officer for Kittitas incident management. “Students, staff and the folks running the clinic responded beautifully.”

Knutson said that while local clinics have the resources to accommodate students, providing the vaccine on campus helps with convenience and accessibility.

“I think it’s fantastic to make sure that [the vaccine] is easily accessible, and to go where people are already comfortable and more likely to get those vaccines,” Knutson said. “We want people to get vaccinated. Anything that’s going to encourage that is absolutely a win in Kittitas County.”

Knutson encouraged anyone who has questions or is feeling hesitant about the vaccine to reach out to a trusted health official.

David Dick

Zoe Whittaker Jameson, a senior studying elementary education, received her first dose on Tuesday. She heard about the clinic through her boss at CWU Hype, where she works as the Street Team coordinator. 

“I woke up to a phone call from Jenna Hyatt,” Whittaker Jameson said, “and she said, ‘is it okay if we give you Moderna instead?’ and I said, ‘yes that’s fine!’”

Whittaker Jameson and everyone who attended Tuesday’s clinic will receive their second dose on May 11. She said she’s looking forward to being fully vaccinated.

“I wanted to get the vaccine so I’m safe and protected,” Jameson said, “but also I am looking forward to go back and do my volunteer experience in the elementary school, and part of that is being vaccinated.”

As of April 14, CWU added two more vaccination clinic dates on April 20 and 27. The clinics are available for all CWU students and staff from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the SURC ballroom, and second dose appointments will be announced soon. The KCPHD plans to administer 300 doses of the Moderna vaccine. 

Signups for the April 27 event is on a first-come, first-served basis and can be completed through Signup Genius. If appointments fill up, applicants will be placed on a wait list.